1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon Attenuation

1. Sep 4, 2010 #1
    I know in scattering theory that a wave can be attenuated when it interacts with a dielectric sphere, it is partially scattered, partially absorbed. So, the scattering light has less flux density than was incident.

However, if we use wave-particle duality then the same should be true for a photon ?

Or do we assume due to it being flux density that it is a large mass of photons over a given area, and then some photons are absorbed and some not, in a probabilistic manner ?

From what I understand I always assumed that photons were either absorbed or not, and weren't ever attenuated is that correct ? If a photon is attenuated that would mean it would have to change wavelength due to the Planck-Einstein relation ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted