• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Photon detection statistics

• Thread starter Lynx1390
  • Start date
1. A 2.5m aperture telescope obverses a star through an R filter. Assume that there is no noise associated with the detection system. The CCD has a full well depth of 20,000 counts and a gain correction factor of 1.00000.
a. On average, the telescope detects 3 photons/sec from this star. What is the probability that it will detect less than three photons in an 1 second observation

I'm pretty sure I got this one, use the Poisson distribution as shown below.

P = (3^0e^(-3))/0! + (3^1e^(-3))/1! + (3^2e^(-3))/2! = 0.42

b. Another star is observed. On average, the telescope detects 1,230 photons/sec from this star. What is the probability that will detect more than 1,230 photons in any one second observation?

It is this part I am a little unsure of, I know I need to use the normal distribution but not sure how to reach from it.

Thanks in advance

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Hello Lynx, and welcome to PF. Please use the template.

You want to approach the Poisson distribution by a normal distribution in the second case, which is reasonable. Do you know why ? And do you have an expression for the normal distribution ? It has a certain characteristic that makes answering b) a piece of cake....

The reason why I want to use the normal distribution is because I know with a larger mean Poisson 'turns' Gaussian. And from a quick look at the bell curve, the answer would be rounded to 1/2. I'm just not sure how to express it mathematically.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Don't look at the curve, look at the mathematical expression for the probability distribution function of the normal distribution. What is its value in x=μ-ε if its value in x=μ+ε is p0?

Ok, so the probability distribution function is -

P = 1/(σ√2∏)*e^(-1/2((x-μ))/σ)^2

But I'm not sure how to find the standard deviation with the information given? I know its a silly question but I don't understand how to figure it out?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Placing brackets in the right place is an art too. The square is inside the exponent, meaning the distribution is symmetrical around x = μ. Symmetrical means half of its area is on the side > μ. That's nice and that is the reason you want to look at the Poisson distribution as an almost Gauss distribution. Quite justifyable for μ = 1230.