1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon detection statistics

1. Jun 18, 2014 #1
    1. A 2.5m aperture telescope obverses a star through an R filter. Assume that there is no noise associated with the detection system. The CCD has a full well depth of 20,000 counts and a gain correction factor of 1.00000.
    a. On average, the telescope detects 3 photons/sec from this star. What is the probability that it will detect less than three photons in an 1 second observation

I'm pretty sure I got this one, use the Poisson distribution as shown below.

P = (3^0e^(-3))/0! + (3^1e^(-3))/1! + (3^2e^(-3))/2! = 0.42

b. Another star is observed. On average, the telescope detects 1,230 photons/sec from this star. What is the probability that will detect more than 1,230 photons in any one second observation?

It is this part I am a little unsure of, I know I need to use the normal distribution but not sure how to reach from it.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Lynx, and welcome to PF. Please use the template.

You want to approach the Poisson distribution by a normal distribution in the second case, which is reasonable. Do you know why ? And do you have an expression for the normal distribution ? It has a certain characteristic that makes answering b) a piece of cake....

4. Jun 19, 2014 #3
    The reason why I want to use the normal distribution is because I know with a larger mean Poisson 'turns' Gaussian. And from a quick look at the bell curve, the answer would be rounded to 1/2. I'm just not sure how to express it mathematically.

5. Jun 19, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't look at the curve, look at the mathematical expression for the probability distribution function of the normal distribution. What is its value in x=μ-ε if its value in x=μ+ε is p0?

6. Jun 19, 2014 #5
    Ok, so the probability distribution function is -

P = 1/(σ√2∏)*e^(-1/2((x-μ))/σ)^2

But I'm not sure how to find the standard deviation with the information given? I know its a silly question but I don't understand how to figure it out?

7. Jun 19, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Placing brackets in the right place is an art too. The square is inside the exponent, meaning the distribution is symmetrical around x = μ. Symmetrical means half of its area is on the side > μ. That's nice and that is the reason you want to look at the Poisson distribution as an almost Gauss distribution. Quite justifyable for μ = 1230.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted