Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon detectors

1. Feb 3, 2006 #1
    Hey, I'm new to these forums and am just learning about quantum physics.

I was wondering about the detectors used to pick up on photons. How exactly do these detectors work? What about the ones described which detect a photon but allow it pass through?

Also, if a detector were designed to detect a photon of visible light radiation, would it also pick up a photon of gamma radiation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2006 #2
    There's a bunch of ways to detect photons. Your average camera has a photon detector, film. Here's a couple of ways that are used atleast at the X-ray energies.

Solid state semiconductor detectors detect photons via the electron-hole pairs the incoming photons create in a semiconducting crystal. In an applied electric field that produces a current which is propotional to the incoming photons' energies. Then there's scintillation detectors in which the incoming photon makes the detecting element emit new photons which create a current via a photomultiplier tube.

I don't know about your last question. The detectors are usually designed to work at a certain photon energy range. For something to work at ev and MeV photon energies would take some exceptional instrumentation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?