1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon/Electron absorbtion in atoms

1. Nov 7, 2005 #1
    Hi guys,
    I have this question I can do the first part but not the second, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :cool: o:)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    Question 1
    A photon with energy of 6.7eV is fired at the mercury, describe what would happen?
    Answer
    Photon would be absorbed and electron would jump to n=3 (the second excited state) and almost instantaneously electron will return back to the ground state whilst simultaneously emitting a photon (emission spectrum)
    Question 2
    An electron with 6eV is fired at the mercury, describe what would happen?
    Answer
    I have no idea, please help!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. Correct.

2. Let's try and guess something....does the electron just pass right through, or does it collide with something ? If it does, what could this something be ? And if there was a collision, what could happen to the energy of this electron (6eV), after the collision ?

4. Nov 7, 2005 #3
    I was thinking that the 6eV electron would impart some of its energy onto the other electron (if it hits it) which would excite the electron to n=2 and the rest of the energy would be the Kinetic energy of the incident electron. I.e. compton scattering?

5. Nov 11, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's correct. It is a similar process to Compton scattering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?