1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon Emission

1. Aug 6, 2009 #1
    a.) If the average frequency emitted by a 200 W light bulb is 5x10^14, and 10.0% of the input power is emitted as visible light, approximately how many visible-light photons are emitted per second?

I solved this part of the problem by finding the energy (E = hf) and dividing 10% of 200W by the amount of energy per photon to get 6.03 x 10^19 photons per second.

b. At what distance would this correspond to 1x10^11 visible-light photons per square centimeter per second if the light is emitted uniformly in all directions?

I am stuck on this part of the problem. I tried dividing 6.03 x 10^19 by 1x10^11 to get the how many square centimeters would correspond to 1x10^11 photons per square centimeter per second. I got 6.04x10^8 cm^2. Because the light is emitted uniformly in all directions, I did A = pi*r^2, using the value 6.04x10^8 as "A". I got r = 138.7 m, but this is incorrect.

The problem I think I am having is A = pi*r^2 does not correspond to visible-light in the 3rd dimension, but I am confused as to why the question then does not ask "per CUBIC centimeter?"

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. The surface area of a sphere is not PI * R^2....

http://www.teacherschoice.com.au/Maths_Library/Area and SA/area_2.htm

4. Aug 6, 2009 #3
    Thank you! It worked with 4pi*r^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook