Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon emmission

1. Nov 22, 2007 #1
    A photon exist in three dimensions so it has length, width and height.

In fig 2 I show and electron that is stationary so it is in a moving frame of reference with a very small velocity say 10 m/sec. This fig is snapshots taken of the electron a times 1,2,3,4 etc as a photon is emitted by the electron and as can be seen the photon is emitted perpendicular to the average body of the electron.

In fig 1 I show the same set of snapshots except now the electron is in a moving frame of reference travelling at say 0.99 C. A t1 the photon has just started to be emitted from the electron, at t2 it is a little further out, as the photon has a finite length and so forth until it is completely emmitted.

I predict that at high velocities photons will emit at a different angle as opposed to photon emitted by a stationary or low velocity electron.

Is I possible at high velocity the photon may actually double back on itself and re-enter the electron? In which case electrons at high velocity will only be able to emit photons at specific angles ?

If there is resistance to the emmission then this would somehow create a doppler effect to wouldnt it?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2007 #2
    if this is right what effects would this have on a laser at very high velocity ?
  4. Nov 22, 2007 #3
    If the emmission angle of the laser was at and angle to the direction of travle of the MFR
  5. Nov 23, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

A photon is a quantum of an EM wave, so since the wave propagates in all three spatial dimensions I think it is OK to say a photon exists in all three spatial dimensions in some sense. However, I doubt that you can assign unique values for the length, width, and height of a photon.

If you boost the EM field equations you will indeed see that the angle of propagation changes. I think this idea is simplified in the wave-4-vector notation.

Only if the velocity of the particle is greater than the speed of light in the medium. When this happens you get Cherenkov radiation which is the EM equivalent of a bow wake or sonic boom. Of course, this is not possible in free space.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?