1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon energy and momentum paradox

1. Jan 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the momentum and energy of photons of light of wavelength 500nm. Usual data of h = 6.63 x 10-34 and c = 3.0 x 108ms-1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    > To get momentum, i simply take momentum = h/wavelength = 1.326 x 10-27 kgms-1

> To get energy I use E = hf = 3.96 x 10-19 J

> However, i figured that an alternative way to get energy will be to use the equation p = mv. Since i have already calculated the momentum of my photon in the first step, and I know that the velocity of a photon is 3.0 x 108 ms-1, the mass of the photon will be 4.42 x 10-36 kg. With this mass in mind, I can now use KE = 0.5mv2 (m = 4.42 x 10-36, v = 3.0 x 108 ms-1). Eventually, i obtain a KE of 1.99 x 10-19 J.

> So there is now this paradox that E=hf gives me energy as 3.96 x 10-19 J, while the alternative method gives me energy of 1.99 x 10-19 J, which is half that of the former. Im pretty sure im missing out on something here. Any idea? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The equation p = mv only applies to particles moving slowly compared to light speed. It certainly doesn't apply to photons, which have m = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?