Is 300eV the Correct Mean Photon Energy for a Black Body at 1 Million K?

In summary, the mean approximate photon energy of a black-body spectrum emitted by an object at a temperature of 1 million K is 300eV. The wavelength at which this spectrum reaches a peak corresponds to a shorter wavelength than that of the black-body spectrum emitted by the sun, which has a mean approximate photon energy of 1.74eV. The peak of the black-body spectrum emitted by the object at 1 million K is at a much shorter wavelength than the sun's black-body spectrum. The conversation also touched on the calculation for the sun's black-body spectrum and the relationship between EM radiation and black body radiation.
Orion78
I have calculate that the mean approximate photon energy of a black-body spectrum which is emitted by an object at a temperature of 1 million K is 300eV. Can somebody confirm me that? My second doubt is: the wavelength at which this spectrum reaches a peak corresponds to a "longer" or to a "shorter" wavelength than that of the black-body spectrum emitted by the sun?
Many thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What do your calculations show for the Sun?

I did not do any calculation about the sun but think that the spectrum of solar radiation is close to that of a black body with a temperature of circa 5,800 K and so the mean approximate photon energy is 1.74eV. If that so, are the wavelength at which this spectrum of the object at at a temperature of 1 million K that reaches a peak corresponds to a much shorter wavelength than that of the black-body spectrum emitted by the sun?

300eV-photons have a shorter wavelength than 1.74eV-photons.
The numbers are in a region where I would expect them, but I did not calculate them.

Yes, the peak is a much shorter wavelength than the Sun emits. Do you know much about EM radiation and black body radiation?

Thanks. yes, now I have all the info I needed.

1. What is a black-body?

A black-body is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming radiation and emits it at the maximum possible energy for a given temperature. It is used as a standard for comparison with real objects.

2. How is photon energy related to black-body radiation?

Photon energy is a measure of the amount of energy carried by a single photon of light. In the context of black-body radiation, photon energy is directly related to the temperature of the black-body object. As the temperature increases, the photon energy also increases, resulting in a higher intensity of radiation emitted.

3. How is the photon energy of a black-body calculated?

The photon energy of a black-body can be calculated using the formula E = hc/λ, where E is the energy of the photon, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the emitted radiation. This formula shows that the photon energy is inversely proportional to the wavelength of the radiation.

4. Does the photon energy of a black-body change with temperature?

Yes, the photon energy of a black-body increases with temperature. This is because as the temperature increases, the average energy of the particles in the black-body also increases, resulting in a higher energy of the emitted photons.

5. What is the significance of black-body radiation in science?

Black-body radiation is important in science as it provides a theoretical model for how objects emit and absorb radiation. It has also been used to develop the concept of quantized energy and the understanding of the particle-wave duality of light. Additionally, it has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, where it is used to study the properties of stars and other celestial objects.