• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Photon energy question

• Thread starter fball558
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement

A certain laser outputs pure blue light (photon energy 3.1 eV) with power 800 milliwatts (0.8 watts). How many photons per second does this laser emit?

2. Homework Equations

1 Ws = 6.24151e18
might need E = hv or E = (hc)/fequency where h is 6.6e-34

3. The Attempt at a Solution

not sure if i did it write but i took the .8 multiplied by the 6.24e18 (this is converting Ws to eV) then i x this number by the 3.1 eV to get 1.5479e19
this should be eV/s. then i am lost. not sure if that is even right so any help would be great!!

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
To solve this type of problem, it helps to think about units carefully (and properly!).

1. Homework Statement

A certain laser outputs pure blue light (photon energy 3.1 eV) with power 800 milliwatts (0.8 watts). How many photons per second does this laser emit?

2. Homework Equations

1 Ws = 6.24151e18
might need E = hv or E = (hc)/fequency where h is 6.6e-34

3. The Attempt at a Solution

not sure if i did it write but i took the .8 multiplied by the 6.24e18 (this is converting Ws to eV)
Actually, it says 0.8 is in units of W, or equivalently J/s. If we include the units in the calculation, we can see what are the units of the result:
(0.8 J/s) x (6.24e18 eV/J) = _____?​

then i x this number by the 3.1 eV to get 1.5479e19
Here, it helps to think of it as 3.1 eV/photon (i.e, eV per photon, the energy that each photon has).

Like I did before, include the units in the multiplication and see what the result is.

this should be eV/s. then i am lost. not sure if that is even right so any help would be great!!
I hope my suggestions help you out. If you follow them, compare the units in the answer with what is being asked (highlighted in blue, near the beginning of my post.)