1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon energy regarding with work function of metal and emission of elctron from H atom

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    in my book , i was told that for the emission of electron from a metal surface to occur , the photon which incident on the metal must have at least the energy more than the work function of metal , whereas for the emission of electron from H atom, the photon must have exactly the same energy between the energy levels.... is there reason for this ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The statement about H atoms is incorrect.

4. Oct 5, 2014 #3
    please refer to the underlined notes.

Attached Files:

5. Oct 5, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The notes in the pic talk about the excitation of hydrogen by absorption of an electron.
    In post #1 you wrote:
    emission and excitation are different things.
    the equivalent to the work function for hydrogen is the ionization energy - 13.6eV

6. Oct 5, 2014 #5
    sorry. noted my mistake.
    now , my question is for excitation for hydrogen atoms , why must the photon energy hf exactly equal to difference between energy level , whereas for emission of electron for metal surface , the incident photon energy can be equal or MORE than the work function of metal?

7. Oct 6, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are still comparing apples and pears - but I think I can see what you are getting at.
    Recap:

When you excite an atom, the electron is still bound to the atom.
    If you excite a metal, the electron is still bound to the metal.
    In both cases, the incoming energy must be exactly a transition energy between two levels.

For a photon to knock an electron off a metal, it must have energy at least equal to the work function.
    If the energy is more than the work function - the difference is the kinetic energy of the electron.
    If the energy is exactly the work function, then the electron barely breaks out and it's 50:50 that it will go back in.

For a photon to knock an electron off an atom, it must have energy at least equal to the atom's ionization energy.
    If the energy is more than the ionization energy - the difference is the kinetic energy of the electron.
    Basically the same as for the metal.

I'm thinking: you may be asking why empty space does not have discrete energy levels like inside an atom - is that the case?
    But you may also be asking why you cannot eject an electron from a metal by giving it energy exactly equal to the work function.
    Or it may be something else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted