Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Photon fission in black holes

1. Nov 22, 2016 #1
    Hello all,

Is this a thing? I understand that a theory of quantum gravity is necessary to explain the physics at the core of a black hole, but it seems a black hole is the only environment energetic and dense enough to ignite a mass-energy feedback loop where colliding photons release the heavyweight W- and W+ bosons, which instantly annihilate and release their energy, thereby maintaining equilibrium minus Hawking radiation.

Sorry if this falls into the "new idea/personal theories" category, I just haven't had much luck finding information of photon fission besides this LHC article: http://cms.web.cern.ch/news/lhc-photon-collider

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The known laws of physics break down at the "core of a black hole" ... by which I'm guessing you mean the interior singularity.
    You have to do known physics outside the event horizon (r>M for a non-rotating, neutrally charged, black hole).

You want to know if such an odd state could exist in some stage of a collapsing star? ... if a black hole forms before the critical conditions are met, then the answer is "probably not" - this is not a thing that happens in stars.

4. Nov 22, 2016 #3
    By core, I'm referring to the physical object inside the event horizon, whether that is a singularity or simply a dense orb of elementary particles, similar a gas star being a dense orb of atomic particles, and a neutron star being a dense orb of subatomic particles. Sorry I don't have a grasp on the mathematics yet, so I will start working on that. At this time, I'm mostly looking for a logical explanation to understand the mechanics inside a black hole. Thank you for your time and consideration.

5. Nov 22, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What?

Photon+Photon -> W+ W- is an allowed reaction everywhere if the center-of-mass energy is large enough. It is an incredibly rare process, however. This has nothing to do with black holes. Even inside, space locally looks like it does outside. And our current theories don't work at the singularity (if there is one) anyway.
    That does not make sense at all.

6. Nov 22, 2016 #5
    Thanks mfb, I added crackpot to this post's tag list. : )

7. Nov 25, 2016 #6
    Does Quantum Mechanics allow black holes to consist of a mass of subatomic particles instead of a singularity? Was this ever an acceped or proposed theory?

8. Nov 25, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Certainly not with the particles we know.

9. Nov 27, 2016 #8
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted