Photon in a Shell: Understanding Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a single photon inside a spherical shell. The shell has a smaller hemispherical shell with photon detectors at a distance of 1 light year away. The probability of finding the photon in different regions inside the shell changes depending on whether or not it is observed. However, the actual observation of the photon seems to affect the probability. The conversation also clarifies that the "2 light years" refers to the radius of the shell and mentions the concept of wavefunction collapse.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
My Physics professor was teaching mordern physics yesterday and he gave us this experiment to ponder about

Imagine we have a single photon in a spherical shell. The shell is 2 light years long. Now inside this big shell there is a smaller hemispherical shell with photon dectors at a distance of 1 light year away. Inside this sphere at the center is a photon. First I detect at the photon at the center of the sphere. By Quantum mechaincs (IS this true?) the probability of finding the electron elsewhere inside a region of the sphere increases. Now, we keep waiting and we don't observe anything. After one year, we still don't observe anything, but now we know that the probability of finding the photon in one half of the larger shell is much less. But we actually don't observe anything! How can this probability (If it is a quantum feature) change by mere knowldege?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain what you mean with "the shell is 2 light years long"?
Is it the radius?

yes, it is the radius

Are we talking about wavefunction collapse here? I don't really understand your question, and can't really visualize the sphere (i suck at visualizing stuff, hence my geometry is sh*it). But if the last part of the question, the probability is not really changed, but there is no probability at all, once you actually "look" at the photon.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries electromagnetic energy. It is considered a quantum particle, meaning it exhibits both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

2. What is a shell in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a shell refers to the energy level or orbit of an electron in an atom. These shells are labeled by the principal quantum number, and each shell can hold a specific number of electrons.

3. How does a photon interact with matter?

A photon can interact with matter through three main processes: absorption, emission, and scattering. In absorption, the photon transfers its energy to an electron in an atom, causing it to move to a higher energy level. In emission, the electron releases the absorbed energy in the form of a new photon. In scattering, the photon changes direction after interacting with matter.

4. Why is understanding quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental nature of matter and energy at the smallest scales. It has led to groundbreaking technological advancements, such as transistors, lasers, and computers, and has also revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to photons?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is also true for photons, as their wave-like behavior makes it impossible to pinpoint their location precisely. The uncertainty principle is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and applies to all quantum particles, including photons.