Photon Interaction: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the interaction of photons with matter, specifically how photons are absorbed and re-emitted by atoms in matter. The process can be described as either changing the given photon or as an absorption and re-emission process. It is important to note that individual photons cannot be definitively identified and should only be referred to as "a photon." The concept of refraction is also touched upon, explaining how it relates to the delay in wavefronts of multiple photons when passing through different mediums.
vivitar02
I have read so much, please put me straight on "photon interaction"

1. My photon hits matter.

2. It interacts with the atoms of that matter.

3. The electron (say) energy level transition (High->Low) spawns photon(s) of lower energy levels?

4. My photon is now other photon(s) but energy conserved ?

5. In terms of refraction, is this what is the happening??

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you mean by refraction?

I think the emitted photon can travel in a different direction then the absorbed one.

The process your asking about is called fluorescence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescence

vivitar02 said:
I have read so much, please put me straight on "photon interaction"

1. My photon hits matter.

2. It interacts with the atoms of that matter.

3. The electron (say) energy level transition (High->Low) spawns photon(s) of lower energy levels?

4. My photon is now other photon(s) but energy conserved ?

5. In terms of refraction, is this what is the happening??

It appears that you are asking about photon transport in a solid, or at least, not in some isolated atomic gas. You might want to start by reading an entry in our FAQ thread in the general physics forum. Read the entry on the influences of lattice vibrations (phonons) on transport properties.

"Refraction" has something to do with the delay in the wavefronts of LARGE number of photons, not just a single photon. This delay manifests itself when you come in at an angle at the interface of two medium with different index of refraction.

Zz.

You can think of various processes either as changing the given photon or as an absorption and re-emission process. The thing to remember is that photons and other quanta do not have serial numbers to tell us if when we see one go in, it is the same one or a different one coming out.

Huygens principle says we can treat wave propagation as if it were a continual absorption re-emission process. There is no physical difference in distinguishing between saying "this photon recoiled off the mirror" vs "this photon was absorbed by the mirror and another emitted".

We should in general avoid definite identification of photons. Never speak of "the photon" or "my photon" only speak of "a photon" e.g.

"A photon went in(to the prism) with momentum p, a photon came out with momentum q."

Saying it is the same one or saying it is is a different one, are both statements about that which we cannot observe and so that which is meaningless in science.

1. What is photon interaction?

Photon interaction is the process of the interaction between photons (particles of light) and matter. It involves the absorption, emission, scattering, and transmission of photons as they interact with atoms and molecules.

2. Why is understanding photon interaction important?

Understanding photon interaction is important for many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It helps us to explain and predict the behavior of light and matter, and it has applications in fields such as imaging, spectroscopy, and photonics.

3. What are the different types of photon interaction?

There are three main types of photon interaction: photoelectric effect, Compton scattering, and pair production. The photoelectric effect involves the absorption and emission of photons by electrons in atoms. Compton scattering is the scattering of photons by free electrons. Pair production is the creation of an electron-positron pair from a high-energy photon.

4. How does the energy of a photon affect its interaction with matter?

The energy of a photon determines the type of interaction it will have with matter. Low-energy photons are more likely to be absorbed or scattered by matter, while high-energy photons may undergo pair production or create secondary particles. The energy of a photon also affects the amount of energy transferred to the matter it interacts with.

5. How can we study photon interaction?

There are several experimental techniques used to study photon interaction, including X-ray diffraction, spectroscopy, and nuclear reactions. Theoretical models and simulations are also used to understand and predict photon interaction. Interactions can be studied at different energy levels and in different materials to gain a comprehensive understanding of the process.