Photon - Is it really a wave or something else?

In summary, the energy of a photon is equal to Planck's Constant multiplied by its frequency. A photon exhibits properties of both a wave and a particle, but is not a light wave exactly. It can be visualized as a packet of energy with intermittent sinusoidal "wavelets" followed by no ups and downs.
stevmg

Homework Statement

The Energy of a photon = Planck's Constant * frequency
Is a photon a burst of waves for a specified distance or time?

I wish I could draw my concept but a light wave with intermittent sinusoidal "wavelets" followed by no ups and downs
.........photon 1 ......photon 2...
------------------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/-------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/------>

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

: see (1) above

Physics news on Phys.org
A photon isn't quite a wave, but it also isn't quite a particle. It's difficult to explain... but it's not a light wave exactly.

Char. Limit said:
A photon isn't quite a wave, but it also isn't quite a particle. It's difficult to explain... but it's not a light wave exactly.

That answer of the simultaneous wave-particle duality I've seen before.

My question is whether the wave format is correctly depicted below. Are the little sinusoidal wavelets of definite frequency for a definite length in space or time followed by "blank" periods as shown? Is that what is meant by a "packet of energy?"

I wish I could draw my concept but a light wave with intermittent sinusoidal "wavelets" followed by no ups and downs
.........phot on 1 ......photon 2...
-------------------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/-------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/------>

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that carries electromagnetic energy. It is the smallest unit of light and is considered both a particle and a wave.

2. Is a photon really a wave?

Yes, a photon exhibits properties of a wave, including wavelength and frequency. It can also exhibit wave-like behaviors, such as interference and diffraction.

3. How is a photon different from other particles?

A photon is different from other particles in that it has no mass and travels at the speed of light. It also has no charge, unlike other particles such as protons and electrons.

4. Can a photon be detected?

Yes, a photon can be detected using specialized equipment such as a photodetector or a photon counter. These devices can measure the energy and position of a photon.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding photons as waves?

Understanding photons as waves has led to advancements in many fields, including telecommunications, solar energy, and medical imaging. It also helps in understanding the behavior of light in various experiments and phenomena.