1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Photon - Is it really a wave?

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Energy of a photon = Planck's Constant * frequency
    Is a photon a burst of waves for a specified distance or time?

I wish I could draw my concept but a light wave with intermittent sinusoidal "wavelets" followed by no ups and downs
    ..............................................photon 1 ................................photon 2...............
    ------------------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/-------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/------>

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution: see (1) above

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

A photon isn't quite a wave, but it also isn't quite a particle. It's difficult to explain... but it's not a light wave exactly.

4. May 11, 2010 #3
    That answer of the simultaneous wave-particle duality I've seen before.

My question is whether the wave format is correctly depicted below. Are the little sinusoidal wavelets of definite frequency for a definite length in space or time followed by "blank" periods as shown? Is that what is meant by a "packet of energy?"

I wish I could draw my concept but a light wave with intermittent sinusoidal "wavelets" followed by no ups and downs
    ...........................................phot on 1 ................................photon 2...............
    -------------------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/-------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/------>

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook