Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Photon - Is it really a wave?

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Energy of a photon = Planck's Constant * frequency
    Is a photon a burst of waves for a specified distance or time?

I wish I could draw my concept but a light wave with intermittent sinusoidal "wavelets" followed by no ups and downs
    ..............................................photon 1 ................................photon 2...............
    ------------------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/-------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/------>

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution: see (1) above

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

A photon isn't quite a wave, but it also isn't quite a particle. It's difficult to explain... but it's not a light wave exactly.

4. May 11, 2010 #3
    That answer of the simultaneous wave-particle duality I've seen before.

My question is whether the wave format is correctly depicted below. Are the little sinusoidal wavelets of definite frequency for a definite length in space or time followed by "blank" periods as shown? Is that what is meant by a "packet of energy?"

I wish I could draw my concept but a light wave with intermittent sinusoidal "wavelets" followed by no ups and downs
    ...........................................phot on 1 ................................photon 2...............
    -------------------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/-------------------\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/------>

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook