Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Photon moving on a wave?

1. Mar 23, 2017 #1
    Hi there,

I was wondering what the relationship between the photon and the electromagnetic wave is? Is the photon traveling on that wave like a surfer is riding a wave? :-)

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2017 #2
    No. Photons and the electromagnetic wave refer to the same phenomenon, but analyzed with different mechanics. You could say that the electromagnetic field is made up of photons, or the photons are quanta of the electromagnetic field. But these are just words that don't capture the intricacies of the math. Whenever an electromagnetic field interacts with something, it transfers a discrete amount of energy, angular momentum, and momentum. So we call a unit a photon.

4. Mar 23, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No. Photons don't even have a meaningful position.

Electromagnetic waves can be described with photons. It is an alternative description for the same thing. Sometimes waves are a more useful description, sometimes photons are more useful, sometimes both don't work and you have to use quantum electrodynamics, which combines both approaches.

5. Mar 26, 2017 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

6. Mar 29, 2017 #5
    Please read out here, I have found the best description for your question here:-
    http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...ation-between-electromagnetic-wave-and-photon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted