Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon-Photon Repulsion-Attraction

1. Feb 4, 2005 #1
    Can a single photon repulse or attract another single photon under some certain conditions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, through higher-order interactions in QED: namely by coupling to a virtual e+-e- pair.

cheers,
    Patrick.

4. Feb 4, 2005 #3
    If I think electrostatics, then there is an attractive interaction. Yes?

5. Feb 5, 2005 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is an attraction between charged particles, but not between photons (if you exclude those subtle higher-order effects).

cheers,
    Patrick.

6. Feb 5, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wouldn't call light scattering on light an "attraction or repulsion".It's simply scattering.In fact,at quantum level,even though we still deal with ELECTRICALLY charged particles,we don't have that attraction/repulsion pictured so nicely by Coulomb's law.
    For the record,the simplest QED process of photons scattering on photons is 4-th order...Not really easy to calculate,even after u renormalize.

Daniel.

7. Feb 5, 2005 #6
    Please describe what is meant by "scattering" in this case.

8. Feb 5, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All elementary processes in QFT are scatterings.In this case 2 photons interact (scatter one on the other) via a field of positrons and electrons.A more "classical" analogy would be the Coulomb scattering of charged particles (described in most QM books).The scattering,or the interaction,is accomplished via a classical electrostatic field...

Daniel.

9. Feb 6, 2005 #8
    Hey,

can light be scattered by a neutron? :shy:

10. Feb 6, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting question.Obviously photons would interact/scatter with the quarks inside,but it's not the case.Now,theory doesn not prevent us from building Feynman diagrams in which in the same vertex to have a photon & neutron propagator (the propagator would probably be similar to the one of a massive neutrino,because spin 1/2,mass+ zero electric charge) ,but i cannot really imagine a standard scattering process in the lowest order (BTW,whose theory...?? :confused: ) similar to Compton effect,namely one incoming photon & one incoming neutron interacting through an (inimaginable to me) virtual field and in the final state the same photon and the same neutron...

Maybe someone else would give a more elaborate and convincing answer...

Daniel.

11. Feb 6, 2005 #10

Janitor

Science Advisor

One difference between the massive neutrino and the neutron is the nonvanishing magnetic dipole moment of the neutron, deriving from the fact that the neutron is composed of charged quarks. Still, to lowest order, there may be no photon-neutron interaction.

12. Feb 6, 2005 #11

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, there is an interaction between neutrons and a classical B-field, so I would think that to first order, there IS an interaction !
    Also, deep inelastic scattering of say, electrons on neutrons is (unless at very high Q values where the Z0 contribution becomes important) dominated by the photon exchange.

cheers,
    patrick.

13. Feb 6, 2005 #12
    To clarify my interest, please let me know if "photon-photon scattering" for a photon (with spin = 1) is a physical phenomenon that has a billiard ball appearance, or if, scattering is a transient interaction between the two photons, or if, scattering is a quantum field interaction between two photons? Thanks in advance!

14. Feb 6, 2005 #13

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,at classical level billiard balls get into contact (moreover they are deformed),while for particles (elementary or not),the scattering is realized through quantum fields.There's no "touching"...For the last question,the answer is:yes,the photon-photon scattering is a quantum field (of lepton-antilepton pairs) interaction...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?