Calculating Photon Polarization States with PBS & Wave Plates

• B
  • Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary, the conversation discusses a setup involving a source of entangled photons, polarizing beam splitters, and wave plates. The participants discuss how to calculate the state of one photon if the other is measured in a different basis, and how this can result in unexpected polarizations. The conversation also mentions the use of unitary operators in this setup.
StevieTNZ
I have hopefully what is regarded as simple and straightforward questions. QM Question - April 2020.jpg

If we have the attached set up (comprising a source for photons entangled as |H>|V> - |V>|H>), polarizing beam splitters (PBS) and a wave plate that converts |H> to |45> and |V> to |135>.

How does one calculate the state of the partner photon if we measure one photon in the 45/135 basis (via inference using the wave plate and PBS), and the partner in the H/V basis.

My guess is we start with the initial state
|H>|V> - |V>|H>
Convert one photon into the 45/135 basis from the use of the wave plate, thus |45>|V> - |135>|H>

And then have those photons reach the beam splitters: convert |45> back to |H> (which means the photon was measured, in effect, by a 45 degree orientated polarizer and passed it). In this case if we measure the partner photon in the H/V basis, we’d always find it vertically polarized. Is this correct?I’m wondering, though, as even using polarizers instead of combined wave plates and PBS we could have one photon |135> and the other |V>, which isn’t reflected my calculation above. I might be restricting polarizations photons can take on based on the initial state (e.g. one must be horizontal and the other vertical).I believe it is the case that with the photon state |H>|H> - |V>|V>, it is re-written in the 45/135 basis as -|45>|135> - |135>|45>. By using wave plates and PBS (for both photons) to measure in that 45/135 basis, one can come up with results like |H> and |V> - indicating one was |135> and one was |45>. So not necessarily restricted to both needing to be |H>|H> or |V>|V> as per the initial state. Is that right?Many thanks
Stevie

Physics news on Phys.org
StevieTNZ said:
Is this correct?
Up to this point, yes. (Although I should pedantically point out that you should use normalized states, so add a factor ##1/\sqrt{2}##.)

StevieTNZ said:
I’m wondering, though, as even using polarizers instead of combined wave plates and PBS we could have one photon |135> and the other |V>, which isn’t reflected my calculation above. I might be restricting polarizations photons can take on based on the initial state (e.g. one must be horizontal and the other vertical).I believe it is the case that with the photon state |H>|H> - |V>|V>, it is re-written in the 45/135 basis as -|45>|135> - |135>|45>. By using wave plates and PBS (for both photons) to measure in that 45/135 basis, one can come up with results like |H> and |V> - indicating one was |135> and one was |45>. So not necessarily restricted to both needing to be |H>|H> or |V>|V> as per the initial state. Is that right?
I don't understand what you are asking. Can you please explain exactly the setup you are considering here?

Thanks for your reply.

The set up in relation to the first part of the second half is using polarizers and photon detectors, really to illustrate how we can come up with a solution (using the same method as my first calculation) that allows for one photon to be |135> polarized, while the other is |V> (rather than find one photon as |45> (inferred from the use of the wave plate and PBS) and the other as |V>).

Regarding the situation with the initial state 1/√2 |H>|H> - |V>|V>, both photons are measured using wave plates and PBS', in the 45/135 basis. In that basis, one photon can be |135> while the other is |45>. By using wave plates and PBS, to indicate such a state, we'd find the photons after the PBS in the state |H>|V> or |V>|H>.

I wonder if that clarifies?

Last edited:
In this setup the measurement is described by a unitary operator (assuming loss-less wave plates and polarizing beam splitters). Just apply the corresponding operators to the initial biphoton state ##1/\sqrt{2} (|HH \rangle - |VV \rangle)## to see what's the outgoing state after the wave plates and PBSs.

1. What is the purpose of using PBS and wave plates in calculating photon polarization states?

The purpose of using PBS (polarizing beam splitter) and wave plates in calculating photon polarization states is to manipulate the polarization of light. PBS splits incoming light into two perpendicular polarizations, while wave plates change the phase difference between the two polarizations. By combining these two components, it is possible to create any desired polarization state.

2. How do PBS and wave plates work together to calculate photon polarization states?

PBS and wave plates work together by first using the PBS to split incoming light into two perpendicular polarizations. The wave plates are then used to change the phase difference between these two polarizations, resulting in a specific polarization state. This process is repeated for different combinations of wave plates to create a range of polarization states.

3. What are the advantages of using PBS and wave plates in calculating photon polarization states?

The main advantage of using PBS and wave plates in calculating photon polarization states is their ability to create a wide range of polarization states with high precision. This allows for more accurate and detailed analysis of the polarization of light, which is important in many scientific and technological applications such as optics, telecommunications, and quantum computing.

4. Are there any limitations to using PBS and wave plates in calculating photon polarization states?

One limitation of using PBS and wave plates is that they can only manipulate the polarization of light in one direction. This means that they are not suitable for analyzing circularly polarized light. Additionally, the accuracy of the polarization state created depends on the quality of the components used, so there may be some limitations in achieving very precise polarization states.

5. How is the accuracy of calculated photon polarization states verified?

The accuracy of calculated photon polarization states can be verified through various experimental techniques such as polarimetry, interferometry, and spectroscopy. These methods involve measuring the intensity and phase of light in different polarization states and comparing them to the expected values calculated using PBS and wave plates. Any discrepancies can indicate errors in the calculation or limitations in the components used.