Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon propagator in an arbitrary gauge

1. Jul 18, 2005 #1
    My aim is to derive the photon propagator in an arbitrary gauge. I follow Itzykson-Zuber Quantum Field Theory and start from the Lagrangian with gauge-fixing term:
    {\cal L}(x) = -\,\frac{1}{4}\,F_{\mu\nu}(x)F^{\mu\nu}(x) -
    I get the following equation of motion:
    \left(\Box g_{\mu\nu} - \Big(1-\frac{1}{\xi}\Big) \partial_\mu \partial_\nu \right) A^\nu (x) = 0

We can write the solution as a superposition of plane waves:
    A^{\mu}(x) = \sum_{\lambda}\int \frac{d^3k}{(2\pi)^3 2\omega(\vec{k}\,)}\,
    \Big[c(\vec{k},\lambda)\,e^{\mu}( \vec{k},\lambda)\,e^{-ik\cdot x}
    + c^{\dagger}(\vec{k},\lambda)\,e^{*\mu}( \vec{k},\lambda)\,
    e^{+ik\cdot x}\Big],
    where [tex] e^{\mu} [/tex] is a polarization vector.

Then I use the following commutation relations for the creation and annihilation operators to quantize the field:
    = (2 \pi)^3\, 2 \omega (\vec{k})\, \delta^{(3)} (\vec{k}-\vec{k}\,')\,\delta_{\lambda \lambda\,'}
    = [c^{\dagger}(\vec{k},\lambda),\,c^{\dagger}(\vec{k}\,',\lambda\,')] = 0

I want to calculate the Green function as a vacuum expectation value of the time-ordered product:
    -\,i\,D^{\mu\nu}(x - y) = \langle 0|{\rm T}(A^{\mu}(x)A^{\nu}(y))|0\rangle

To do this I need to derive the expression:
    \sum_\lambda e^{\mu}(\vec k, \lambda) e^{*\nu} (\vec k, \lambda) =
    \left(g^{\mu\nu} - (1-\xi) \frac{k^\mu k^\nu}{k^2}\right)

I am novice at QFT. Please, could you advise on the methodology, how I could derive the expression for the sum of the products of polarisation vector components.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2005 #2
    \left(\Box g_{\mu\nu} - \Big(1-\frac{1}{\xi}\Big) \partial_\mu \partial_\nu \right) A^\nu (x) = 0

You simply need to invert the quadratic differential operator above in momentum space (aka Fourier space).

In momentum space the photon kinetic term looks like

\int \frac{d^{4}k}{(2 \pi)^{4}}
    A^{\mu} (k) \left(k^{\beta} k_{\beta} g_{\mu\nu} - \Big(1-\frac{1}{\xi}\Big) k_\mu k_\nu \right) A^\nu (-k)

The quadratic differential operator becomes a (0 2) tensor [itex]M_{\mu \nu} \equiv \left(k^{\beta} k_{\beta} g_{\mu\nu} - \Big(1-\frac{1}{\xi}\Big) k_\mu k_\nu \right)[/itex], which you can invert by linear algebra methods.
  4. Feb 28, 2010 #3
    I know this is an old post, but could anyone comment on how to invert the [tex] M_{\mu\nu} [/tex] matrix above by linear algebra methods?
  5. Feb 28, 2010 #4
    The inverse matrix has to be a linear combination of [tex]g^{\mu \nu}[/tex] and [tex]k^{\mu}k^{\nu}[/tex], so Ansatz [tex]Ag^{\mu \nu}+Bk^{\mu}k^{\nu}[/tex] should work.
  6. Feb 28, 2010 #5
    Thank you, that did work, how did you know it had to be a linear combination of those things?
  7. Mar 1, 2010 #6
    Well, what else could it be? :) To construct a Lorentz tensor with two indices, there really is no other choice. I cannot justify it any better than by noticing that it works.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?