Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Photon propagator

1. Feb 17, 2017 #1
    Hello! I have a question about the photon propagator in Feynman diagrams. I am looking over a brief derivation (probably there are some details missing), so basically it starts from Proca equation for a mass 0 particle, then it assumes Lorentz condition and in the end it obtains: ##(-p^2g_{\mu\nu})A^\nu=0##, from which the propagator is ##-i\frac{g_{\mu\nu}}{p^2}##. I understand the math, but I am a bit confused about the physics. So it starts with the Proca equation for a mass 0 particle, but the photon that is the propagator is off-shell (hence why p is different from 0) so it has mass. So how can you start from an equation for a massless particle and obtain a particle with mass?
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2017 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Off-shell means that the four momentum does *not* obey [itex] P^2 =m^2 [/itex] so the fact that [itex] P^2 \neq 0[/itex] does not mean that it is massive, it is still massless.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted