• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Photon Scattering

• Thread starter Fizzicist
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
A photon scatters in the backward direction ([tex]\theta[/tex]= 180) from a free proton that is initially at rest.

What must the wavelength of the incident photon be if it is to undergo a 10.0% change in wavelength as a result of the scattering?

2. Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex]'-[tex]\lambda[/tex] = (h/mc)(1-cos([tex]\theta[/tex]))

where the left side is the difference between scattered and incidence wavelengths.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

This seemed like a pretty straightforward problem. Since the photon undergoes a 10% change in wavelength, 1.1[tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex]'. Therefore .1[tex]\lambda[/tex] = (h/mc)(1-cos([tex]\theta[/tex])). Multiply by 10 and evaluate the cosine, and you get [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 20h/mc. However, when I substitute values into this and evaluate it I get the wrong answer. I have absolutely no clue what I am doing wrong here. This shouldn't be a difficult problem, but for some reason I am not getting the correct answer. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Hey,

Could you post a bit more of the working, as in the actual values you're putting in to evaluate it? & the answer if you have it.

Hey,

Could you post a bit more of the working, as in the actual values you're putting in to evaluate it? & the answer if you have it.
Sure. Here's my work:

[tex]\lambda[/tex]'-[tex]\lambda[/tex] = (h/mc)(1-cos[tex]\theta[/tex])

1.1[tex]\lambda[/tex]-[tex]\lambda[/tex] = (1 - cos180)(h/mc)

.1[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2h/mc

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 20h/mc = 20 * (6.626 * 10^-34)/(9.109 * 10^-31)(3.00 * 10^8) = .04852 nm

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

alphysicist
Homework Helper
Hi Fizzicist,

You used the mass of an electron, but in this problem the scattering is from a proton.

d'oh! haha....thanks...

solved.