Photon Scattering: Find Wavelength of Incident Photon

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a photon scattering from a proton. The question is asking for the incident wavelength of the photon in order for it to undergo a 10% change in wavelength. The equation used is \lambda'-\lambda = (h/mc)(1-cos\theta) and the attempt at a solution involved substituting values and solving for \lambda, but an error was made by using the mass of an electron instead of a proton. Once the correct values were substituted, the solution was found to be .04852 nm.
Fizzicist

Homework Statement

A photon scatters in the backward direction ([tex]\theta[/tex]= 180) from a free proton that is initially at rest.

What must the wavelength of the incident photon be if it is to undergo a 10.0% change in wavelength as a result of the scattering?

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex]'-[tex]\lambda[/tex] = (h/mc)(1-cos([tex]\theta[/tex]))

where the left side is the difference between scattered and incidence wavelengths.

The Attempt at a Solution

This seemed like a pretty straightforward problem. Since the photon undergoes a 10% change in wavelength, 1.1[tex]\lambda[/tex] = [tex]\lambda[/tex]'. Therefore .1[tex]\lambda[/tex] = (h/mc)(1-cos([tex]\theta[/tex])). Multiply by 10 and evaluate the cosine, and you get [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 20h/mc. However, when I substitute values into this and evaluate it I get the wrong answer. I have absolutely no clue what I am doing wrong here. This shouldn't be a difficult problem, but for some reason I am not getting the correct answer. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

Could you post a bit more of the working, as in the actual values you're putting into evaluate it? & the answer if you have it.

Hey,

Could you post a bit more of the working, as in the actual values you're putting into evaluate it? & the answer if you have it.

Sure. Here's my work:

[tex]\lambda[/tex]'-[tex]\lambda[/tex] = (h/mc)(1-cos[tex]\theta[/tex])

1.1[tex]\lambda[/tex]-[tex]\lambda[/tex] = (1 - cos180)(h/mc)

.1[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2h/mc

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 20h/mc = 20 * (6.626 * 10^-34)/(9.109 * 10^-31)(3.00 * 10^8) = .04852 nm

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Hi Fizzicist,

You used the mass of an electron, but in this problem the scattering is from a proton.

d'oh! haha...thanks...

solved.

1. What is photon scattering?

Photon scattering is the process in which photons (particles of light) interact with matter and change direction. This can happen due to various reasons, such as collisions with particles in the material or interactions with the electric and magnetic fields of the atoms.

2. How is the wavelength of an incident photon determined through scattering?

The wavelength of an incident photon can be determined through scattering by measuring the angle at which the photon is scattered. This angle is related to the wavelength of the photon through the scattering equation, which takes into account the properties of the material and the incident particle.

3. What is the importance of measuring the wavelength of an incident photon through scattering?

Measuring the wavelength of an incident photon through scattering is important because it allows us to study the interactions between photons and matter. This information is crucial in understanding the properties of materials and developing new technologies, such as medical imaging and communication devices.

4. Can the wavelength of an incident photon be changed through scattering?

Yes, the wavelength of an incident photon can be changed through scattering. This can happen when the photon interacts with the material and loses or gains energy, causing its wavelength to shift. This process is known as Compton scattering and is used in various applications, including X-ray imaging.

5. What are the limitations of determining the wavelength of an incident photon through scattering?

One of the limitations of determining the wavelength of an incident photon through scattering is that it is only accurate for small-angle scattering. For larger angles, other factors such as multiple scattering and diffraction can affect the results. Additionally, the properties of the material can also influence the accuracy of the measurement.