QFT Beginner Seeks Help: Photon Self Energy Feynman Diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to plot a Feynman diagram for the photon self-energy in the context of quantum field theory. The individual is using the Mandl-Shaw book as a reference and is attempting to convert the expression to momentum space. However, they have encountered a discrepancy in the results and are unsure if they are missing a fundamental concept or if it is just an algebraic error. They come to the conclusion that the issue may be due to not properly accounting for a shift in momentum.
PineApple2
I am a beginner to QFT and I try to plot the Feynman diagram for the photon self-energy. Following Mandl-Shaw book (page 109 Eq. 7.22)
[itex]
\int d^4x_1 d^4x_2 (-1)\mathrm{Tr}(iS_F(x_2-x_1)\gamma A^-(x_1) iS_F(x_1-x_2) \gamma A^+(x_2))
[/itex]
but when I try to convert it to momentum space I get

[itex]
\int \mathrm{Tr}(d^4x_1 d^4x_2 \gamma\epsilon(k')e^{-ik'x_1}\frac{1}{(2\pi)^4}\int d^4p S_F(p)e^{-ip(x_2-x_1)}\gamma\epsilon(k)e^{-ikx_2}\frac{1}{(2\pi)^4}\int d^4p' S_F(p')e^{-ip'(x_1-x_2)})
[/itex]
this expression is technical but I basically assumed that the incoming and outgoing photons have momenta k and k' (which results in k=k' of course) and the electron and positron have pomenta p and p'. From this I got F(p)S_F(p-k). According to references this result is wrong and the correct result is S_F(p+k)S_F(p). Am I missing something fundamental or is it just algebra?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand that correctly, you integrate over p anyway. Could both versions lead to the same integrals? It is just a shift p->p+k.

I think you are right. I somehow did not pay attention to this... :-)
Thank you.

Last edited:

1. What is QFT and how does it relate to photon self energy Feynman diagrams?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity. Photon self energy Feynman diagrams are diagrams used in QFT to represent the interactions between photons and charged particles.

2. What is the purpose of studying photon self energy Feynman diagrams?

Studying photon self energy Feynman diagrams allows us to understand the behavior of photons and charged particles at a fundamental level. It is also important for developing and testing theories in QFT, which has applications in many areas of physics such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.

3. How do you interpret a photon self energy Feynman diagram?

A photon self energy Feynman diagram represents the possible paths that a photon can take when interacting with a charged particle. The wavy line represents the photon, while the straight line represents the charged particle. The interaction between the two is shown by the vertices where the lines meet.

4. What is the significance of the self energy term in photon self energy Feynman diagrams?

The self energy term in the Feynman diagram represents the effect of the charged particle on the photon's energy and momentum. This term is important in understanding the behavior of photons in the presence of charged particles, and it is also used in calculations to account for the effects of virtual particles.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding photon self energy Feynman diagrams?

Yes, understanding photon self energy Feynman diagrams is crucial for developing technologies such as quantum computing and high-energy particle accelerators. It also has applications in areas such as cosmology, where it can help us understand the behavior of photons in the early universe.