The Size of Photons: Experiments and Results

In summary, the size of a photon is most commonly described by its wavelength, which falls in the range of 350 to 750 nanometers in visible light. There have been many experiments connecting wavelength to physical properties of a photon, but it is mainly considered a point particle bound by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. There have been previous discussions and questions about the size and behavior of a photon, and one can devise their own experiments to further understand its size and properties.
bassplayer142
In visible light, what is the spatial dimensions of the photon itself. I'm interested in the experiments they have done to prove how big the photon is.

Physics news on Phys.org
bassplayer142 said:
In visible light, what is the spatial dimensions of the photon itself. I'm interested in the experiments they have done to prove how big the photon is.

In most cases, a photon is described by its wavelength and has physical properties that relate to that. Visible light is roughly in the range of 350 to 750 nanometers (10^-9 meters).

Naturally, there have been any number of experiments that connect wavelength to some of these physical properties. Is there any specific "size" property you are trying to understand? Other than wavelength, a photon does not have another parameter that relates to size in the normal sense of the word. (As a quantum particle, it is bound by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. It is otherwise considered to be a point particle in much the same fashion as an electron.)

Thanks you guys. I had devised a little experiment myself. I didn't get into detail about it but basically you shine a laser against a solid object. If the size of the photon is smaller then an atom it should shine brighter in the crack where the laser and object meet and it would through the object. Of course the object would have to be ideal for the amount of light it let through also.

What is the size of a photon?

The size of a photon is actually not well-defined, as it is a fundamental particle and does not have a physical size like a macroscopic object. It is often described as a point particle with zero size.

How do scientists measure the size of photons?

Scientists use various experimental techniques to indirectly measure the size of photons. These experiments involve studying the behavior of photons in different scenarios and using mathematical models to determine their size.

What are the current results of experiments on the size of photons?

The current results of experiments on the size of photons suggest that they have a size smaller than 10^-18 meters, which is the current limit of our technology. This means that they are incredibly tiny and difficult to measure directly.

Why is it important to study the size of photons?

Understanding the size of photons is crucial for developing our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and telecommunications.

Do all photons have the same size?

Yes, all photons are believed to have the same size of zero. This is because they are all considered to be identical fundamental particles with no physical size. However, the energy and frequency of a photon can vary, which affects its behavior and properties.