Exploring Using LIGO as a Photon Buffer for Quantum Eraser Experiments

Your name] In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using the LIGO interferometer as a high-fidelity photon buffer for a long delay quantum eraser experiment. The forum user proposes modifying the LIGO setup with larger mirrors and a different configuration to increase the storage time of photons. The response suggests that the idea is feasible in theory but would require careful engineering and collaboration with experts in the field.
kpedersen1
Just a few questions for anyone. I am trying to buffer photons for a long delay quantum eraser.

Is there anyway to convert one arm of a 4km LIGO interferometer into a high-fidelity photon buffer? If a beam is merely reflected once down the length of the tube, it is stored for ~13 µs with virtually no loss.

This of course is if the recycling mirrors are removed. In the current configuration the Fabry-Perot interferometer keeps the photon reflecting back and forth inside the arm a number of times before letting it escape back to the beam splitter. It does this using a recycling mirror with low transmittance. Therefore, the number of times it reflects is totally random; it could make fifty trips or only one trip.

BS___ Recycling Mirror___Mirror
/------|==============||

In an experiment I am simulating with java, I want to be able to selectively erase or destroy the "which-way" data in idler photons during specific time periods - bits composed of multiple photons. Therefore, it is necessary that every photon be stored for the same amount of time.

To the point. Would it be possible to use the LIGO arm to store photons in a similar matter, except making the recycling mirror a full mirror? The input beam would have to enter to the left of the recycling mirror at very slight angle so that it will be reflected back and forth a number of times before exiting to the right. This way the storage time would be constant.

====================== ...****
.../\.../\.../\.../\...|
.../..\.../..\.../..\.../..\...|
.../...\../...\../...\../...\...4 km
../...\/...\/...\/...\....|
./...===============...\...|
/.......\...****

// (Sorry about the periods(.), I needed to use them for spacing)

The LIGO tube is 4 ft. in diameter and the mirrors are 10 in. in diameter. Larger mirrors could be built to allow for more zigs and zags inside the arm; this would make the scheme more feasible. Mirrors with novel geometry could also be constructed to allow more elaborate/longer trips inside the tube, perhaps utilizing more than one plane of reflection. The reflection off the LIGO mirrors is so high (99.99%) that even after 1000 trips, ~82% of the photons are still with us. And of course the tube is a near perfect vacuum, so there is virtually no loss there.

This is my question, would it be feasible? The goal would be to get something around a millisecond of storage (which is about what LIGO accomplishes on average), but with this scheme there is a consistent storage time instead of an average. This way we could store solitons of quantum data instead of highly dispersive wave packets that would quickly muddle together if one attempted to run a quantum eraser with multiple bits.

Thank you for your time. If you have any questions, e-mail me at kpedersen1@gmail.com.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting question about using the LIGO interferometer as a high-fidelity photon buffer. I am always excited to see innovative ideas and proposals for advancing our understanding of quantum mechanics.

Based on my knowledge and experience in this field, I believe that your idea is feasible in theory. The LIGO interferometer is designed to precisely measure gravitational waves, but it can also be repurposed for other experiments that require high-precision control and measurement of photons. The key challenge would be to modify the existing LIGO setup to create a stable and controlled environment for storing photons for a longer period of time.

One possible approach could be to use a combination of larger and more precisely angled mirrors, as you suggested, to increase the number of reflections and thus the storage time. However, this would require careful engineering and optimization to ensure that the photons do not experience significant losses or decoherence during their multiple reflections.

Another consideration would be the impact of the vacuum environment on the behavior of photons. While a near-perfect vacuum is crucial for maintaining the coherence of the photons, it may also introduce other factors, such as thermal effects, that could affect the storage time and fidelity of the photons.

In conclusion, I believe that your proposal has potential and warrants further investigation and experimentation. I would recommend collaborating with experts in the field of quantum optics and interferometry to further develop and test your idea. I wish you all the best in your research and experiments.

I find this proposal intriguing and potentially feasible. Using LIGO as a photon buffer for quantum eraser experiments could offer a unique opportunity to study and manipulate quantum information in a controlled environment.

The idea of using a full mirror as a recycling mirror to ensure a consistent storage time for photons is a novel approach. It would be interesting to see how this would affect the behavior of the photons and the resulting data from the quantum eraser experiment. Furthermore, the possibility of using larger or novel geometry mirrors to increase the number of trips inside the LIGO arm could potentially provide even longer storage times.

However, there are some factors that would need to be considered before implementing this proposal. For example, the effects of the LIGO arm's vibrations and thermal noise on the stored photons would need to be carefully studied and mitigated. Additionally, the potential impact on the primary function of LIGO as a gravitational wave detector would need to be evaluated.

Overall, I believe this is a promising idea worth exploring further. It would be beneficial to collaborate with experts in the fields of quantum optics and gravitational wave detection to fully assess the feasibility and potential impact of using LIGO as a photon buffer for quantum eraser experiments.

1. What is LIGO and how does it work?

LIGO stands for Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory. It is a large-scale physics experiment that uses laser interferometry to detect gravitational waves, which are ripples in space-time caused by massive objects moving through space. LIGO works by using two perpendicular arms, each 4 kilometers long, with laser beams bouncing back and forth between mirrors. When a gravitational wave passes through the Earth, it causes slight changes in the length of the arms, which can be detected by the interference pattern of the laser beams.

2. What is a quantum eraser experiment and how does it work?

A quantum eraser experiment is a type of experiment that explores the concept of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics. It involves an interference pattern created by a double-slit experiment, where a single particle behaves like a wave and creates an interference pattern when passing through two slits. In a quantum eraser experiment, a detector is placed at one of the slits to determine which path the particle takes. However, by adding a second detector that allows us to know which path the particle didn't take, the interference pattern disappears, showing that the particle behaves like a particle when its path is known.

3. How can LIGO be used as a photon buffer for quantum eraser experiments?

LIGO can be used as a photon buffer for quantum eraser experiments by using its laser beams to store photons. The laser beams in LIGO can be configured to create an interference pattern, just like in a quantum eraser experiment. By storing photons in the laser beams, we can manipulate the experiment in a way that allows us to observe the wave-like behavior of the photons. This can help us better understand the concept of wave-particle duality and potentially lead to advancements in quantum computing.

4. What are the potential applications of using LIGO as a photon buffer for quantum eraser experiments?

There are several potential applications of using LIGO as a photon buffer for quantum eraser experiments. One potential application is in the field of quantum computing, as it could help us better understand and manipulate the behavior of particles on a quantum level. It could also have applications in communication and cryptography, as quantum eraser experiments have been used to develop unbreakable encryption methods.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using LIGO as a photon buffer for quantum eraser experiments?

Yes, there are several challenges and limitations to using LIGO as a photon buffer for quantum eraser experiments. One major challenge is the precision and sensitivity required for these experiments, as even small disturbances can affect the results. Another limitation is the cost and complexity of using LIGO, as it is a large-scale experiment that requires advanced technology and expertise to operate. Additionally, the results of these experiments may not always be reproducible due to the unpredictable nature of quantum mechanics.