What is the process of photon emission in atoms?

In summary, photons are created when the electron moves down in energy level, and the energy that moves the electron into a higher level is what creates the photon.
cragar
k my physics background is limited , I know that photon emission is when the electron moves down in energy level thus releasing a photon but how does the photon get inside the electron , the energy that moves the electron into a higher level when this energy
moves the electron out their is this how the photon gets into the electron , please clarify

Science news on Phys.org
Electrons do not contain photons. The photon is created at the moment of emission.

ok , where is it created from or how is it created .

Let me preface this by saying that I am not in any way an authority in the field. As far as I know, though, you get down to the range where everything consists of wave packets.
Thinking of sub-atomic particles as... well... particles... is counter-productive.

The photon is produced by the excitation of the electromagnetic field, in the theoretical framework that describes electrons and photons (Quantum Electrodynamics) the photons are quanta of the electromagnetic field.

so the field is already there it just hasn't been excited

cragar said:
so the field is already there it just hasn't been excited

well at this level, yes :-)

so would I need to understand QED to completely understand this

cragar said:
so would I need to understand QED to completely understand this

well here is a web course: http://www.phys.uAlberta.ca/~gingrich/phys512/latex2html/node1.html

It assumes that you have done advanced Quantum mechanics, at the level of Sakurai's book "modern quantum mechanics"

It is a difference of understanding and understanding. Since the language of physics is math, the understanding is almost always contained in the formalism. So for a complete understanding, yes, one needs to know the theory - otherwise it would not be a complete understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody completely understands it. That's the beauty of science. Keep investigating.

yeah that is true, it is also a difference of understanding nature and understanding a theory that describes nature ;-)

thanks for helping guys , i at least have a better understanding and ur right i can't think of a photon like a pool ball i need to think of it as a wave packet.

cragar said:
ok , where is it created from or how is it created .

Photon is timeless, it's not created... It just is in the electron (as energy, if you wish), or around it (as the field, again, if you wish), and it is transmitted or absorbed.

There is quite a nice explanation about this on Hecht's Optics.

mind said:
Photon is timeless, it's not created... It just is in the electron (as energy, if you wish), or around it (as the field, again, if you wish), and it is transmitted or absorbed.

There is quite a nice explanation about this on Hecht's Optics.

that is the classical explanation, i.e classical electrodynamics

Is it true that photons have no mass/weight? Please clarify this, I may be misinformed.

Photons have zero mass

so if photons are not created and are timeless , then the universe has been around forever .

That's what I thought, thank you.

A photon does, however, have momentum.

right and they have a force too. Photons always seem to capture people's imagination
and invoke interesting debates , nature is cunning an Einstein would put it.

cragar said:
so if photons are not created and are timeless , then the universe has been around forever .

Being timeless is not the same as being forever. Or, as an illustration, being massless is not the same as nonexistence (or, at the other end, omnipresence).
Timelessness just says that you can't measure the existence of a photon with a clock (why?)

You could think of it like this:

Imagine that you are holding one end of a slinky and have attach the other end to a wall. When you suddenly lower your hand 10 cm, a wave travels along the slinky. Lowering your hand is like an electron dropping an energy level and the wave is like a photon.

The wave wasn't in your hand. Ya, dig?

so ur saying the field is always there just not excited.

Hmm, yes, it is there, but you will never know that it is there, unless you excite it. But, if you excite it, some might argue, aren't you creating it?

I hope this has helped you departure from your initial picture where photon was a thing that can enter electrons. It might be so, but that thing is a very very strange thing, and absolutely not similar to the real things, which are made of electrons, protons and other stuff.

it has definitely opened up my mind

1. What is photon emission in atoms?

Photon emission in atoms is the process by which an atom releases energy in the form of a photon, which is a particle of light. This occurs when an atom's electrons move from a higher energy state to a lower energy state, releasing energy in the form of a photon.

2. How does photon emission occur in atoms?

Photon emission in atoms occurs when an atom's electrons are excited to a higher energy state, either by absorbing energy or colliding with other particles. As the electrons return to their lower energy state, they release energy in the form of a photon.

3. What factors affect the process of photon emission in atoms?

The process of photon emission in atoms can be affected by factors such as the energy level of the electron, the type of atom, and the interaction with other particles. The energy level of the electron determines the frequency and energy of the emitted photon, while the type of atom can affect the probability of photon emission. Interactions with other particles can also influence the likelihood and direction of photon emission.

4. What is the significance of photon emission in atoms?

Photon emission in atoms plays a crucial role in various natural phenomena, such as light emission in stars and fluorescence in certain materials. It also has significant practical applications, such as in the development of lasers and other optical technologies.

5. Can photon emission be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, scientists have developed various methods to control and manipulate photon emission in atoms. These include using external energy sources to excite the electrons, manipulating the energy levels of the electrons, and controlling the environment in which the atom is located. These techniques have led to advancements in fields such as quantum computing and telecommunications.