Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Photonic networking

1. Mar 18, 2017 #1
    If photons can be measured on quantum state levels then teleported and entangled, as done in photonic networking with NV centers, can entire electric fields also be measured, teleported, reconstructed and entangled as the ensembles of photons they are ?

If so, can the electric fields of NEURONS be measured, teleported and entangled to the teleported and reconstructed electric field ?

I can provide links which support this idea, but I'd like to hear from others.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Mar 24, 2017 #3
    In this link NV centers are used to trap entangled photon pairs in repeater nodes among a network
    http://www.nature.com/articles/srep26284

And in a link I will soon add, NV centers are used to determine quantum states of electric fields of neurons..

So the billion dollar question is, can electric fields be entangled ?

5. Mar 25, 2017 #4
    My expertise is limited, but my incomplete and quite possibly inaccurate understanding would suggest thatvthe question is moot in that there is but a single, universe-spanning EM field for which its 'strength' at a given point is defined according to the ensemble effects of charged objects throughout the universe.
    Given that most typically EM fields are stronger surrounding a charged object(arguably the charge is a particular strength of this field) it can be prosaica!ly considered as a localised field 'belonging to' the charged object extending until the effective strength of the influence of the charge becomes neglible in context

Should a number of charged objects be entangled and reliably teleported to be positioned relative to tbeir clunterpart origin, then the strength of field between them might offer similar vectors, however tbere may be influence due to proximity of other charges and undoubtedly some uncertainty in the positions or velocities which could impact the densigy of charge at given points.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  6. Mar 25, 2017 #5

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Electric fields are not "ensembles of photons". Photons and electric fields, from the standpoint of quantum field theory, are both particular kinds of states of the underlying quantum field (the electromagnetic field, in this case).

In principle any quantum state can be entangled. In practice some states are much easier to do it with than others. If you have other links, please post them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted