Photon Timelessness: Does It Exist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the misconception that photons do not experience time. It is clarified that this is not true and that photons still experience time, despite being massless. The conversation also explores the idea of a photon's "point of view" and concludes that it is not a valid concept in relation to relativity. It is emphasized that reliable sources, such as peer-reviewed journals and books, should be consulted when discussing scientific concepts.
YASH AWasthi
I have read that photons do not experience time...
If that's the case then if a particular photon is emitted by a body then that should exist in every time relative to us i.e that same photon should be there at exactly the same point forever.

Physics news on Phys.org
YASH AWasthi said:
You have not read that in a physics text, it is pop-sci nonsense.

It is one of the most common misconceptions in pop-sci presentations and we even have a FAQ on it here somewhere on the forum but I don't have it bookmarked so can't point you to it. Try a forum search. The links at the bottom of this page are a good place to start.

YASH AWasthi said:
What is the specific source where you read this? It is wrong for several reasons. As @phinds mentioned, it is probably not a valid source

YASH AWasthi said:
If that's the case then if a particular photon is emitted by a body then that should exist in every time relative to us i.e that same photon should be there at exactly the same point forever.
This doesn't follow. We still experience time regardless.

Likes LURCH
It's not that photons don't experience time so much as photons don't experience full stop. It's impossible to describe a photon's point of view in relativity, so any attempt to work backwards from what you think that experience is fails even before it starts.

phinds said:
You have not read that in a physics text, it is pop-sci nonsense.

It is one of the most common misconceptions in pop-sci presentations and we even have a FAQ on it here somewhere on the forum but I don't have it bookmarked so can't point you to it. Try a forum search. The links at the bottom of this page are a good place to start.
https://www.quora.com/Does-a-photon-experience-time
see the post of a guy named Jerzy Michał Pawlak

phinds said:
As I said, pop-sci nonsense. He talks about the "point of view of a photon". There is no such thing.
sorry to ask a stupid question.Can't rely on phd...

YASH AWasthi said:

Here is Jerzy's post:

The only way particles can "experience time" is by having their internal state evolve. The easiest case to observe is probably particle decay into other particles. Photons don't decay (nor do any other massless particles). They also don't spontaneously change any of their observable properties, like energy or polarisation - this would be violation of energy/momentum/angular momentum conservation. So, to the best of our knowledge, they don't "experience time".

There is no mention of a photon's point of view that I can see.

PeroK said:
Here is Jerzy's post:

The only way particles can "experience time" is by having their internal state evolve. The easiest case to observe is probably particle decay into other particles. Photons don't decay (nor do any other massless particles). They also don't spontaneously change any of their observable properties, like energy or polarisation - this would be violation of energy/momentum/angular momentum conservation. So, to the best of our knowledge, they don't "experience time".

There is no mention of a photon's point of view that I can see.
Here it is
Photons are the only things that can travel at the speed of light (photons). They are massless. Relativity shows us that as objects approach the speed of light they experience increased relative mass and time dilation. But since a photon is massless, and can travel at the speed of light, is their time dilation infinite--meaning does time "pass" for a photon? The implications of this are interesting and absurd--it would mean that a photon would reach your eye at exactly the same time that it left the star (from the photon's point of view, of course).

But to be fair, I now see that he is saying this would be absurd. I just scanned it prior to my previous post and was struck by the "photon's point of view".

phinds said:
Here it isBut to be fair, I now see that he is saying this would be absurd. I just scanned it prior to my previous post and was struck by the "photon's point of view".

To be even fairer that quotation is not attributable to Jerzy Michal Pawlak. It's not clear who is the originator of that particular entry.

Likes nitsuj
I don't understand what the authors of this popular-"science" book want to express with the phrase "a particle experiences time". It's an undefined empty phrase. Forget popular-science books and read real physics books. It's very difficult to write a good popular-science book, way more difficult than to write a good physics textbook, because in the former you are not allowed to use the adequate language to describe physics, which is mathematics. On the other hand, making a statement like "a particle experiences time" is, in fact, utter nonsense even in a popular-science-book context! I'm pretty sure they explain somewhere that photons are massless particles, implying a "billard-ball picture" of "particles". That's as misleading as you can be.

Likes bhobba
YASH AWasthi said:
sorry to ask a stupid question.Can't rely on phd...

No, you absolutely cannot rely on something just because it was written by someone with a Ph.D. in the discipline. For example, suppose two of them disagree, as is often the case? Most if not all of the physicists who have replied to you here have Ph.D.'s in physics or closely related disciplines!

In the early 1990's there was a problem known as the solar neutrino problem. The number of neutrinos from the sun hitting detectors on Earth was less than what theorists predicted based on the nuclear reactions that they calculated must be occurring to produce the amount of heat and light being output by the sun. In other words, there was no way to explain how the sun could be so bright and so hot without these nuclear reactions, and no way to explain the nuclear reactions without a sufficient number of neutrinos being produced. But when experimentalists used their detectors to look for these neutrinos, a significant fraction of them were missing!

One possible explanation, that later turned out to be right, is that the missing neutrinos changed flavor on their way from the sun to Earth.

I was in attendance at a seminar for physicists at the University of Houston when the Nobel prize-winning physicist Sheldon Glashow, who was the invited guest and speaker, stated that if neutrinos are massless then they travel at the speed of light and, loosely speaking, can't experience time so therefore can't oscillate (change) from one flavor to another.

Of course we now know that neutrinos are not massless, that they therefore travel at speeds less than the speed of light, and that they do indeed oscillate.

So why the caveat "loosely speaking"? The other posters are trying to get you to understand why. The moral of the story is information processing. You can't simply take something you hear or read at face value without trying to understand why it was said or written. If you do you run the risk of drawing a false conclusion from it, as you have done here in your original post.

Ibix said:
It's impossible to describe a photon's point of view in relativity
However, to check my understanding, I write the following. Something can be said about a fast-moving object as measured in a particular inertial frame. As an object’s measured speed approaches the speed of light, any clock moving with the object is measured to run slower than a clock which is stationary for that frame. The speed of the object can, in principle, be made arbitrarily close to the speed of light, and the slower clock can be made to run arbitrarily slow. It is just wrong to conclude from this that a photon is at the same point forever, at all places in the direction of travel all the time, travels any distance in zero time or that time stands still for the photon.

whatif said:
However, to check my understanding, I write the following. Something can be said about a fast-moving object as measured in a particular inertial frame. As an object’s measured speed approaches the speed of light, any clock moving with the object is measured to run slower than a clock which is stationary for that frame. The speed of the object can, in principle, be made arbitrarily close to the speed of light, and the slower clock can be made to run arbitrarily slow. It is just wrong to conclude from this that a photon is at the same point forever, at all places in the direction of travel all the time, travels any distance in zero time or that time stands still for the photon.

There is no guarantee that the limit of a process is a valid physical or mathematical thing. For example, if you take a sequence of spheres of increasing radius, then what is the limit of this sequence? There is none.

Likewise, ##\lim_{v \rightarrow c} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}## does not exist. And, therefore, there is no Lorentz transformation to a frame traveling at the speed of light.

It's tempting to take a direct formula, such as ##\tau = t/\gamma##, which you have done, and conclude that because the limit:

##\lim_{v \rightarrow c} \tau = 0##

Then, you have a valid physical quantity at the limit point itself, ##v = c##.

But, mathematically, ##\gamma## and ##\tau## are simply not defined in the limit ##v = c##. In particular, you cannot say that a photon experiences zero proper time. It is much more precise to say that proper time is not defined for a photon.

PeroK said:
It's tempting to take a direct formula, such as τ=t/γτ=t/γ\tau = t/\gamma, which you have done
Thank you for your response. However, with respect, you seem to be confirming my understanding:
whatif said:
It is just wrong to conclude from this that a photon is at the same point forever, at all places in the direction of travel all the time, travels any distance in zero time or that time stands still for the photon.

whatif said:
Thank you for your response. However, with respect, you seem to be confirming my understanding:
Yes. The easiest way to see this is to consider the perspective of the "fast moving" object. It can regard itself as stationary, so still has 3×108m/s to accelerate.

The speed of light in relativity behaves rather like infinite speed in Newtonian physics - you can't get there no matter how hard you try, and talking about the perspective of something traveling at that speed is nonsensical.

whatif said:
Those are all correct except the last one. It is not right or wrong to say that "time stands still for a photon", it is only correct to say that time is UNDEFINED for a photon.

phinds said:
Those are all correct except the last one. It is not right or wrong to say that "time stands still for a photon", it is only correct to say that time is UNDEFINED for a photon.
Thank you, but I cannot make sense of that, except as a theoretical formality. That is, I can make sense of saying that it is undefined, but not sense in saying that it is neither right nor wrong.

Likes robphy
whatif said:
Thank you, but I cannot make sense of that, except as a theoretical formality. That is, I can make sense of saying that it is undefined, but not sense in saying that it is neither right nor wrong.
Well, just leave it that it is undefined.

whatif said:
I can make sense of saying that it is undefined, but not sense in saying that it is neither right nor wrong.

It's neither right nor wrong in the same sense that a statement like "the number three is blue" is neither right nor wrong. If time is undefined for a photon, there is no way to even assign a meaning to the question of whether or not "time stands still" for a photon, just as there is no way to even assign a meaning to the question of what color the number three is. Contrast this with, for example, "the number three is greater than the number four", which is wrong--but to know that it's wrong, you have to be able to assign a meaning to the question of which of two numbers is greater.

Likes nitsuj
PeterDonis said:
but to know that it's wrong, you have to be able to assign a meaning to the question
That is a moot point. "the number three is blue" is wrong on the face of it. However, it depends on context. We try to avoid context by defining things as precisely as we can. If it is necessarily meaningless then it is wrong in the sense that it has no application.
phinds said:
Well, just leave it that it is undefined.
I am happy with that.

whatif said:
If it is necessarily meaningless then it is wrong in the sense that it has no application.

So basically your preference for how to use the word "wrong" differs from mine. That's fine, as long as we're clear about what we each mean by it.

Likes Ibix
PeterDonis said:
That's fine, as long as we're clear about what we each mean by it.
Yes. I am not trying to be difficult. I appreciate the responses.

whatif said:
It is just wrong to conclude from this that a photon is at the same point forever, at all places in the direction of travel all the time, travels any distance in zero time or that time stands still for the photon.

That is correct. Everything else you wrote in that post is also correct.

Mister T said:
That is correct. Everything else you wrote in that post is also correct.
Thank you.

After moderator review, the thread will remain closed as it has run its course.

1. What is photon timelessness?

Photon timelessness is the concept that photons, which are the smallest units of light, do not experience time. This means that they do not age or decay like other particles, and their travel through space is instantaneous from their perspective.

2. How is photon timelessness different from time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, in which time appears to pass slower for an observer in a moving frame of reference compared to a stationary observer. Photon timelessness, on the other hand, suggests that photons do not experience time at all.

3. Do all scientists agree that photon timelessness exists?

There is still ongoing debate and research in the scientific community about the existence of photon timelessness. While some theories such as quantum mechanics support the concept, other theories such as the theory of relativity do not. More experiments and observations are needed to fully understand the nature of photons and time.

4. What evidence supports the idea of photon timelessness?

One of the main pieces of evidence for photon timelessness is the fact that photons do not have mass. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, objects with mass experience time while those without mass do not. Additionally, observations of photons traveling over long distances without any signs of aging or decay also support the idea of photon timelessness.

5. How does the concept of photon timelessness impact our understanding of the universe?

If photon timelessness is confirmed, it would challenge our current understanding of time and space. It could also potentially lead to new insights into the behavior of light and its role in the universe. Further research on this topic could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.