Exploring the Relationship Between Photons and Vibration in Light Transmission

In summary: No. You may have been misled by non-technical descriptions of "vacuum flucuations" and "virtual particles" - these are a (generally well-intentioned) best effort at a math-free explanation of concepts that cannot be properly explained without math, so are often seriously misleading.
ZapperZ said:
NO there isn’t!

Zz.
Then where does dark matter and dark energy come into the picture?

Science news on Phys.org
Nugatory said:
“Hz” is just a convenient way of saying “per second”, telling us nothing about what is happening that many times per second.
Ok, but it tells something about how these phenomenas are operating. So they all have something in common?

itallcomestoenergy said:

What does it have to do with electromagnetic waves and your initial question?

itallcomestoenergy said:
Ok, but it tells something about how these phenomenas are operating.
(my bolding)

Not really. Hz is a unit and says nothing (or very little) about the process itself, other than that there is some sort of repetition going on in the process.

Compare with a watch and the unit second (s). The unit "second" says nothing about how the watch works, other than it (the watch) measures time.

weirdoguy said:
What does it have to do with electromagnetic waves and your initial question?
How 'phenomenas' travel thru the universe, and how beings percepts these observable happenings

DennisN said:
(my bolding)

Not really. Hz is a unit and says nothing (or very little) about the process itself, other than that there is some sort of repetition going on in the process.

Compare with a watch and the unit second (s). The unit "second" says nothing about how the watch works, other than it (the watch) measures time.
Ok ESL, pardon my english. I am norwegian. I meant that they are operating in a vibration kind of behaviour

itallcomestoenergy said:
I meant that they are operating in a vibration kind of behaviour
Both sound and light are wave phenomenon (in classical physics), and they are two phenomenon which often have frequencies associated with them. But the two different phenomenon work very differently. Very differently. :smile:

And here's a trick question for you regarding Hz:
A wheel that is spinning with a constant velocity performs a repeating behavior, where the wheel spinning around a centre can be expressed in Hz (revolutions/second). Is this a form of "vibration"? :wink:

EDIT: Also, computer processors have different frequency values associated with them (kHz, MHz, GHz etc), but is this a form of "vibration"?

Last edited:
itallcomestoenergy said:

I could ask you a similar question. If you think light needs a medium, then where do Special Relativity fit into the picture, considering the result of Michaelson-Morley experiment, the accuracy of your GPS, etc? If you do not know how this actually fit into the question, then maybe you should look again at the Postulates of Special Relativity.

How you think you can connect this to DM/DE, I have no idea. You were the one who made the connection, not me. I do not have to explain what you have in your mind.

Zz.

Likes itallcomestoenergy
itallcomestoenergy said:
Okey, so the medium is vacuum. With hints of atoms(?) What about sound waves? They operate in a lower frequency, but they are not transferrible in vacuum? Do I get this right? The reason I ask is because of illustrations of lights frequency spectrum.
Light waves and sound waves are different things and no, sound waves don't necessarily operate at lower frequency; there is overlap.

itallcomestoenergy said:
Ok, but it tells something about how these phenomenas are operating. So they all have something in common?
Yes, they all have a frequency. That does not mean that they are all vibrations. Not all things that have mass are bananas, just like not all things that have frequency are vibrations.

Dale said:
Yes, they all have a frequency. That does not mean that they are all vibrations. Not all things that have mass are bananas, just like not all things that have frequency are vibrations.
lol. Good point. But if it is frequency that describes that vibration is common. Isnt it this we should 'science' more? Thinking of how energy works?

russ_watters said:
Light waves and sound waves are different things and no, sound waves don't necessarily operate at lower frequency; there is overlap.
Yes, I am sound engineer so I am aware of that :)

DennisN said:
Both sound and light are wave phenomenon (in classical physics), and they are two phenomenon which often have frequencies associated with them. But the two different phenomenon work very differently. Very differently. :smile:

And here's a trick question for you regarding Hz:
A wheel that is spinning with a constant velocity performs a repeating behavior, where the wheel spinning around a centre can be expressed in Hz (revolutions/second). Is this a form of "vibration"? :wink:

EDIT: Also, computer processors have different frequency values associated with them (kHz, MHz, GHz etc), but is this a form of "vibration"?
Yes, but it can be affected by vibrations, and there on Hz(?)

itallcomestoenergy said:
if it is frequency that describes that vibration is common

What? I'm not even sure what you are trying to say. Frequency is one of the many characteristics of vibrations, waves and other phenomena, it does not "describe that vibration is common".

Likes Dale
weirdoguy said:
What? I'm not even sure what you are trying to say. Frequency is one of the many characteristics of vibrations and waves, it does not "describe that vibration is common".
Than why can we describe Hz in different phenomenas, where is the connection between these phenomenas?

Because definition of frequency is such that we can ascribe it to different phenomena. We don't need any deeper connection between them and I really don't understand why you treat frequency as if it were something special. As I said, it's one of many characteristics, not main one.

itallcomestoenergy said:
Than why can we describe Hz in different phenomenas, where is the connection between these phenomenas?

A object makes 20 complete revolution in a circular motion path in 20 seconds. We can describe that it as having a frequency of 1 Hz.

So, I used the same units here, i.e. Hz. Tell me what's "vibrating".

Zz.

Likes berkeman
ZapperZ said:
We can describe that it as having a frequency of 20 Hz.

1Hz o0)

weirdoguy said:
1Hz o0)

Thanks. I think one thing, and my fingers do their own thing sometime.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
A object makes 20 complete revolution in a circular motion path in 20 seconds. We can describe that it as having a frequency of 1 Hz.

So, I used the same units here, i.e. Hz. Tell me what's "vibrating".

Zz.
Vibrating is something that operates as a wave. The simplest form of wave is a sine(?)

Last edited:
itallcomestoenergy said:
Vibrating is something that operates as a wave. The simplest form of wave is a sine(?)

You did not reply to my question, but instead, you went off on your own tangent.

I brought up something that can be described in terms of the unit "Hz". You claim that everything using that unit must be a vibration. I asked you to tell me what is "vibrating" in that example that I gave. Please answer that.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You did not reply to my question, but instead, you went off on your own tangent.

I brought up something that can be described in terms of the unit "Hz". You claim that everything using that unit must be a vibration. I asked you to tell me what is "vibrating" in that example that I gave. Please answer that.

Zz.
Im sorry. Phenomenas operating as a wave affects everything around it. So the vibration in this particular example, comes also from it surroundings. Thereby might particles vibrate. For example phonons.

itallcomestoenergy said:
Im sorry,

Im sorry. Phenomenas operating as a wave affects everything around it. So the vibration in this particular example, comes also from it surroundings. Thereby might particles vibrate. For example phonons.

Not only is this puzzling, but it is also nonsensical.

There are no phonons here.

So one last time before I stop playing this game, what is vibrating in my example?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Not only is this puzzling, but it is also nonsensical.

There are no phonons here.

So one last time before I stop playing this game, what is vibrating in my example?

Zz.
It was an example, just as you had one example. I have no answer. Yet

Last edited by a moderator:
itallcomestoenergy said:
It was an example, just as you had one example. I have no answer.

It was an example, just as you had one example. I have no answer. Yet..

It was an example of what, your inability to comprehend the scenario?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It was an example of what, your inability to comprehend the scenario?

Zz.

There was no question in your post

itallcomestoenergy said:
Okey, so the medium is vacuum.

No. There is no medium.

What about sound waves? They operate in a lower frequency,

No. Sound waves are vibrations of a medium.

Mister T said:
No. There is no medium.
No. Sound waves are vibrations of a medium.
Yes, and the medium is particles in the air, water or more solid matter.

itallcomestoenergy said:
Not all waves are vibrations and not all vibrations are waves. They are two different things that you are trying to mix up here.

At this point I am closing this thread. You seem to have some sort of weird “vibration” agenda. We are neither interested in helping you promote your agenda nor in the Sisyphean task of arguing about it. Please be aware that all posts must be consistent with the professional scientific literature.

Likes berkeman and Ibix