Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photons hitting the metal of the bike

1. Jul 26, 2004 #1
    Check this out. I’ve never seen anything like it. Says on their webpage that it actually changes with heat. I’m hoping someone in here has heard more or tried it. My car is next…… I gotta have this…….

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2004 #2
    You know this effect is not new - the application onto a vehicle is, though! :D
  4. Jul 30, 2004 #3
    Bah. I had toy cars with that type of paint when I was a kid. I used to have them in my mouth and that made them change colour, dunno how smart that was concidering the possible hazards of the involved chemicals...
    I for one wouldn't like to have marks after my ass on my motorcycle an hour or two after i got off... That doesn't seem too cool.

Anyway, does anyone here know how it works?
  5. Jul 30, 2004 #4
    Im guessing it would work with the photons hitting the metal of the bike. Then these photons would oscilate the electrons in the metal and change its energy, .... Thats where I get stuck, probably wrong, Im wondering too how it works?
  6. Aug 1, 2004 #5
    Temperature change... like the tape-style thermometers

7. Aug 1, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's pretty simple. They mix in fluorescent dyes into the regular paint.

Electrons in certain rare earth doped compounds get excited by the UV in sunlight into certain dopant states. They then fall back (almost immediately, unlike in glo-sticks, which have long afterglow) into the original state through a series of downward transitions. And of course, when an electron drops to a lower energy state, it emits light.

That, I believe, is what's happening.
  8. Aug 1, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The same activation can also be provided by phonons (heat) instead of photons (light).

Look up fluorescence, photoluminescence and thermoluminescence.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?