Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon's momentum

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1
    Photon has momentum but is massless.Doesn't that seem strange?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2
    If you write down the fully relativistic equation for momentum (in pc units) for any particle (including photons) of kinetic energy T, the quation is

(pc)2 = (T + mc2)2 - (mc2)2

= T2 + 2(mc2)T

So, for a bullet use the second term; for a photon use the first (for mass = 0). So a massless photon has momentum.

Bob S

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems a bit strange of course when we've only encountered Newtonian physics as we're always taught p=mv, but relativirty shows that particles that travel at c can only have zero mass.

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4
    No it's not strange because photon has energy. So its momentum is [tex]p=E/c=h/\lambda[/tex]

(ok it is little bit strange...)

6. Sep 1, 2010 #5
    No.

"Seems a bit strange of course when we've only encountered Newtonian physics as we're always taught p=mv, but relativirty shows that particles that travel at c [STRIKE]can only have[/STRIKE] may have zero mass".

Also, in Newtonian mechanics, p = sqrt(2mE) where E = ½mv2

Bob S

7. Sep 1, 2010 #6

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, not 'may', 'must'. The four-momentum of a particle is tangent to it's wordline for a particle travelling at c this means it's four-momentum is always null. The mass of particle (in the absence of a rest frame to define it) can be taken as the norm of it's four-momentum which is zero for a particle with null four-momentum. Hence all particles travelling at c MUST have zero mass (unless we're going to allow particles to have undefined four-momentum and hence undefined momentum and energy).

In Newtonian mechanics a particles momentum is defined as p(t) = mv(t).

Your definition is clearly incorrect as momentum is a vector quantity whereas your definition defines a scalar quantity.

8. Sep 1, 2010 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Exactly.

[tex]v = c \sqrt{1-\frac{m^2 c^4}{E^2}}[/tex]

9. Sep 1, 2010 #8
    You are correct.

My pocket calculator shows that a 3.5 TeV proton in LEP has a v/c =

β = 1-1/2γ2 = 1-3.6·10-8 = 0.999 999 964

For the 1020 eV Oh My God cosmic ray proton

β = 1-1/2γ2 = 1-5·10-23 = 0.999 999 999 999 999 999 999 9 (more or less)

So any particle with mass >0 cannot have a velocity of exactly c. I was not careful enough in rounding off.

Bob S

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook