Photosensitive properties of Molybdenum Disulphide

In summary, the conversation discusses a Stanford University innovation that uses Molybdenum Disulphide and solar radiation to quickly disinfect water. The person is looking for information on the photo sensitive properties and work function of Molybdenum Disulphide, as well as resources on the reactions and purification process. An image of the water purifying device is also attached. Professor Alexandria Boehm is mentioned as a potential resource for advice and insight.
Nikhil Rajagopalan
Dear Experts,

I am studying about a Stanford University innovation, using Molybdenum Disulphide and solar radiation to disinfect water at a very quick rate. I am unable to find details about photo sensitive properties of Molybdenum Disulphide. What is the work function of molybdenum disulphide, how does it change with its thickness. I would be glad if I could find any resource which could guide me through the reactions and how the purification is done.
I have attached an image of the water purifying device here.
Thank you.

Attachments

• water_disinfection_v01_0.jpg
    water_disinfection_v01_0.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 606
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you Bystander and CapnGranite for your valuable help

What is Molybdenum Disulphide?

Molybdenum Disulphide is a mineral compound composed of molybdenum and sulfur atoms. It is commonly used as a lubricant due to its low friction properties.

What are the photosensitive properties of Molybdenum Disulphide?

Molybdenum Disulphide is a semiconductor material with unique photosensitive properties. It exhibits a high photoresponsivity and can be used in photodetectors and solar cells.

How does Molybdenum Disulphide react to light?

Molybdenum Disulphide is sensitive to light in the visible and infrared spectrum. When exposed to light, electrons in the material are excited and create a current flow, making it a suitable material for light detection.

What are the potential applications of Molybdenum Disulphide's photosensitive properties?

The photosensitive properties of Molybdenum Disulphide make it useful in a variety of applications, including solar cells, photodiodes, and optical sensors. It can also be used in optoelectronic devices such as light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and light detectors.

Can the photosensitive properties of Molybdenum Disulphide be enhanced?

Yes, the photosensitive properties of Molybdenum Disulphide can be enhanced through various methods such as doping, defects engineering, and surface modification. These techniques can improve the material's photoresponsivity and extend its applications in optoelectronics and renewable energy technologies.