Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phototransistor vs LDR

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    Hi,
    I'm wondering what the difference between a light dependent resistor and a phototransistor is. Am i correct in assuming they are the same if the third lead of the phototransistor is not connected to anything?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From my somewhat limited experience with electronics I seem to recall that phototransistors can amplify the current produced and therefore have a greater sensitivity that of a photodioide, the response times are slower however. This question may be better placed in the Engineering forums (perhaps Berkeman could take a look).

4. Oct 21, 2006 #3
    Yes, this question should be in one of the Engineering forums.
    A photodiode has an ability to produce large light to dark current ratio. The current produced by a photodiode is of few micro-amperes. A normal transistor has a property to amplify the input current by [itex]\beta[/itex] times where [itex]\beta[/itex] ranges from 50 t0 300 and is known as current amplification factor. A Phototransistor combines the advantages of a photodiode as well as a normal transistor.

LDR as the name suggests is a Light Dependent Resistor whose resistance changes according to the intensity of the light incident on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?