1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phototransistor vs LDR

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    Hi,
    I'm wondering what the difference between a light dependent resistor and a phototransistor is. Am i correct in assuming they are the same if the third lead of the phototransistor is not connected to anything?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From my somewhat limited experience with electronics I seem to recall that phototransistors can amplify the current produced and therefore have a greater sensitivity that of a photodioide, the response times are slower however. This question may be better placed in the Engineering forums (perhaps Berkeman could take a look).

4. Oct 21, 2006 #3
    Yes, this question should be in one of the Engineering forums.
    A photodiode has an ability to produce large light to dark current ratio. The current produced by a photodiode is of few micro-amperes. A normal transistor has a property to amplify the input current by [itex]\beta[/itex] times where [itex]\beta[/itex] ranges from 50 t0 300 and is known as current amplification factor. A Phototransistor combines the advantages of a photodiode as well as a normal transistor.

LDR as the name suggests is a Light Dependent Resistor whose resistance changes according to the intensity of the light incident on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?