1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photovoltaic problem

1. Apr 10, 2009 #1
    Im working on a problem that involves a PV module consisting of 40 cells each at .5 volts. The problem models the module as having all 40 cells in series. The PV module is connected to a 5 ohm load. The problem also says to assume that the same current and voltage flows through the PV module and load. So solve for I, V, and P.

I just need to find the current, power, and voltage for 3 conditions.

a) when in full sunlight

b) when 1 cell is in shade

c) when 2 cells are in shade.

my question is:

I know the voltage to be 20 volts in full sunlight and 19.5 volts when 1 cell is in shade....so when 1 cell is in shade I noticed the book saying that one .5 volt cell will now act as a 5 ohm reisistor.....is this true....and why?

and if that is the case for 1 cell in the shade would I have a total of 10 ohms resistance to calculate the current flowing?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2
    any ideas?...I can understand a cell not functioning acting as a resistor....but why 5 ohms?

4. Apr 12, 2009 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would guess it is because that's what someone measured when they shaded an individual cell. Silicon is a semiconductor, so with no light falling on the cell, it turns into a resistor. That resistance will depend on the physical dimensions of the cell.

5. Aug 19, 2009 #4
    its true , for this case the PV module must protect it by bypass diode

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook