1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photovoltaics current

1. Jul 29, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone !

I have a very basic question about phovoltaics: does a photovoltaic solar cell need to be current to work ? I mean it sounds stupid since we use solar cell to produce current and not the opposite... The fact is I do not really understand how the cell produces current, I was thinking that something like a external voltage is missing to create the current flow..

What I understood is that when you take the n-type silicon and the p-type silicon and put them together to form the pn junction a depletion zone is formed where you don't have any carrier... Due to the inbalance of the charges between the n side and the p side an electric field is formed (around 0.6-0.7 volts for Silicon)...and then ? Electrons from the n side would like to couple with the holes on the p side but they can't because of the depletion zone and therefore if you give them an external "track" they will flow through that circuit and is how current is produced ?

I don't know, I have the feeling I'm missing something..could anyone help me and explain me how it works ? I mean how you really get the current (the user could use) in the end ? Also is you need to supply the cell with power or not, which I know sounds weired but still, I'd like to know... I mean, you need to supply a photodiode don't you ? So what's the difference ?

Thank you very very much in advance for any help !
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2010 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook