Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PHP PHP Constant Arrays?

1. Dec 21, 2009 #1
    I was wondering if was possible to create a constant array in php so it doesn't have to be reinitialized each time you enter a function. I guess one solution is to make it global but from a code maintenance perspective it makes since to put the array in with the function that uses it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I understand your question correctly, you might be looking for a static variable.
    I used it myself in the following two constructions (incidentally, from the same file, so I'll post them both):

PHP:

function connect_db() {
            static $theDatabase = null;
            if(!$theDatabase) {
                global $databaseProperties;
                include("database.php");
                $theDatabase = new db($databaseProperties['dbname'], $databaseProperties['host'], $databaseProperties['user'], $databaseProperties['password'], $databaseProperties['persist']);
            }
            return $theDatabase;
        }

function getLanguageList() {
            static $languageList = null;
            global $db;
            if($languageList === null) {
                if(!$db) $db = connect_db();
                $languageList = $db->q("column SHOW COLUMNS FROM `TranslatedStrings`");
            }
            return $languageList;
        }

In both functions, the static variable only exists within the function, but not outside it. The value is kept between calls however. For example, I can call connect_db() as much as I like. The first time, it will create a new database handle, store it in the static variable and give it to me. However, every next time I call the function, it will see that the variable has already been assigned and will just return the value.

The second example is more similar to your question, that's why I included it. The first time, an array is initialized with some values from a database, a relatively slow operation. After that however, the function basically does nothing but "return $languageList;" where $languageList has the value from the first call.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook