1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phy 111

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A stone is launched straight up by a slingshot. Its initial speed is 20.2 m/s and the stone is 1.40 m above the ground when launched. Assume g = 9.80 m/s2.

A:How high above the ground does the stone rise?
    B:How much time elapses before the stone hits the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    Y=Vit+ 1/2ayt2
    vf2-vi2/ay=T

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried the first formula with the time from the second and can't get the answer. I have tried everything I can think of and was even working with others at school to try and get this one. I have seen the other problem identical to this listed but I couldnt understand it. Please Help

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

I'm sure you meant this equation to be:
    (vf2-vi2)/2ay=Y

Maybe that will be all you need?

ay = -g
    Y + 1.4 = Ymax

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  4. Sep 10, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the welcome. And yes I had that, I just input the equation wrong into the computer.

When I go through and try an answer I have gotten 2.06 for the time it takes for it to stop rising which I would think i could just input into the formula to have it be some thing like y=1.40m+20.2m/s(2.06s)+1/2(-9.8m/s2)(2.06s)2. I end up getting 22 but I dont think that is the answer, it just doesnt make sense with it rising for 2 seconds with an initial velocity of 20m/s...

5. Sep 10, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Use the equation I suggested first.

That's (02 - (20.3)2)/2(-9.8) = Y
    where your final velocity is 0.
    Then to that number you add the additional 1.4 m.

Now use the height Y to figure Time to MAX and then use Y + 1.4 to figure time to fall.. These two times you can calculate simply with Y = 1/2 g t2

Then add the two time results together. That's Total time.

6. Sep 10, 2008 #5
    Thank you! Finally got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?