Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Phy 111

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A stone is launched straight up by a slingshot. Its initial speed is 20.2 m/s and the stone is 1.40 m above the ground when launched. Assume g = 9.80 m/s2.

A:How high above the ground does the stone rise?
    B:How much time elapses before the stone hits the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    Y=Vit+ 1/2ayt2
    vf2-vi2/ay=T

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried the first formula with the time from the second and can't get the answer. I have tried everything I can think of and was even working with others at school to try and get this one. I have seen the other problem identical to this listed but I couldnt understand it. Please Help

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

I'm sure you meant this equation to be:
    (vf2-vi2)/2ay=Y

Maybe that will be all you need?

ay = -g
    Y + 1.4 = Ymax

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  4. Sep 10, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the welcome. And yes I had that, I just input the equation wrong into the computer.

When I go through and try an answer I have gotten 2.06 for the time it takes for it to stop rising which I would think i could just input into the formula to have it be some thing like y=1.40m+20.2m/s(2.06s)+1/2(-9.8m/s2)(2.06s)2. I end up getting 22 but I dont think that is the answer, it just doesnt make sense with it rising for 2 seconds with an initial velocity of 20m/s...

5. Sep 10, 2008 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Use the equation I suggested first.

That's (02 - (20.3)2)/2(-9.8) = Y
    where your final velocity is 0.
    Then to that number you add the additional 1.4 m.

Now use the height Y to figure Time to MAX and then use Y + 1.4 to figure time to fall.. These two times you can calculate simply with Y = 1/2 g t2

Then add the two time results together. That's Total time.

6. Sep 10, 2008 #5
    Thank you! Finally got it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook