Good Books on Theoretical Physics for Beginners

In summary: Being able to pass a high school calculus exam doesn't mean you understand calculus. To do that you need a solid background in algebra and trigonometry plus a lot of hard work. Jumping around quickly through classes might be alright as long as the student understands that they won't really understand the topic until they go back and relearn it the right way (not to be patronizing, it's entirely possible that you know algebra well enough and will work hard enough to understand it the first time, and if you do you'll know it).
haloshade
Does anybody know of any good and easy to understand books over theoritical fields in physics (i.e. quantum phyiscs, particle physics, general realitivity, etc.)? I'm really interested into reading in on those topics right now, so I would apperciate your help.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in order to understand these subjects, one needs quite much math (at least several variable calculus and linear algebra).

Please give us your current status of mathematical knowledge and we can help you more.

It is a difference to read about these things and to understand them.

malawi_glenn said:
Well, in order to understand these subjects, one needs quite much math (at least several variable calculus and linear algebra).

Please give us your current status of mathematical knowledge and we can help you more.

It is a difference to read about these things and to understand them.

Right now I am a junior in high school, I am in Algebra 2, and PreAP Physics. Next year I will be in AP Physics C and PreAP Pre-Calc.

I honestly deeply regret not taking Algebra in 8th grade when I had the chance, and I'm worried that stupid mistake would hold me back from my goals.

You are very early in the game, so don't worry about not having the math yet... you haven't even seen real algebra yet, so you can easily catch up.

As for low level but GOOD books on theoretical physics, Landau and Rumer wrote a tiny book on SR called "What Is Relativity?" It would be perfect for your level and a good starting place. It's one of the few that's actually written by brilliant theorists.

haloshade said:
Right now I am a junior in high school, I am in Algebra 2, and PreAP Physics. Next year I will be in AP Physics C and PreAP Pre-Calc.

I honestly deeply regret not taking Algebra in 8th grade when I had the chance, and I'm worried that stupid mistake would hold me back from my goals.

Unless you have a good physics teacher who will explain calculus concepts to you, you won't get too far in physics c without knowing some calc knowledge

I suggest that you do a regular algebra-based physics course rather than AP physics c

thrill3rnit3 said:
Unless you have a good physics teacher who will explain calculus concepts to you, you won't get too far in physics c without knowing some calc knowledge

I suggest that you do a regular algebra-based physics course rather than AP physics c

Well my teacher has been teaching AP physics C for a while now, this was her only year to take off since nobody last year signed up for it. Plus I'm extremely determind to take this class, so if I have too I will study extra over calculas.

If you don't know calculus you'll be lost at times in AP physics C. If the class is available, you'd be better off taking AP physics B (especially if your school doesn't teach trigonometry in algebra 2), otherwise you'll be rushing into calculus wayyy too fast.

well he can self study them if he is really dedicated. I jumped straight to AP Calc AB in soph year after taking Alg 2/trig my freshman year.

wasn't that hard of a transition (well maybe that was because my alg 2 teacher was a beast)

Maybe it was such a long time ago that I'm forgetting, but I did AP Physics C and AP Calculus for the first time together and it was great. I'm sure it's not that difficult, it's really low level calculus and functional knowledge that I remember being required in Physics C.

yeah you don't even need much calculus in a high school physics course

Being able to pass a high school calculus exam doesn't mean you understand calculus. To do that you need a solid background in algebra and trigonometry plus a lot of hard work. Jumping around quickly through classes might be alright as long as the student understands that they won't really understand the topic until they go back and relearn it the right way (not to be patronizing, it's entirely possible that you know algebra well enough and will work hard enough to understand it the first time, and if you do you'll know it).

qntty said:
Being able to pass a high school calculus exam doesn't mean you understand calculus. To do that you need a solid background in algebra and trigonometry plus a lot of hard work. Jumping around quickly through classes might be alright as long as the student understands that they won't really understand the topic until they go back and relearn it the right way (not to be patronizing, it's entirely possible that you know algebra well enough and will work hard enough to understand it the first time, and if you do you'll know it).

even those kids who get 5's on the BC test don't really understand calculus as well as a college student who learns it, of course. what we're talking about is that he can learn enough calculus himself in order to survive AP physics C, if he's dedicated into doing it.

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn theoretical physics?

The answer to this question may vary based on personal preferences, but some popular options include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman. These books provide a comprehensive introduction to theoretical physics concepts and are written in an accessible manner for beginners.

2. Are there any good theoretical physics books that don't require a strong math background?

While a basic understanding of math is necessary for studying theoretical physics, there are some books that are more introductory and don't require an advanced math background. "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and "The Cosmic Code" by Heinz Pagels are both popular choices for beginners with limited math knowledge.

3. Are there any online resources for learning theoretical physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning theoretical physics. Some popular options include online courses on platforms like Coursera and edX, as well as YouTube channels like PBS Space Time and Fermilab. There are also many blogs and websites dedicated to discussing theoretical physics concepts.

4. What are some good books for understanding complex theoretical physics concepts?

Some popular books for delving into more advanced theoretical physics topics include "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, "The Black Hole War" by Leonard Susskind, and "The Quantum Universe" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. These books provide a deeper understanding of complex concepts such as quantum mechanics and cosmology.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to understand theoretical physics?

While a background in physics can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to understand theoretical physics concepts. Many of the introductory books mentioned earlier are written for those without a physics background. However, a strong interest in science and a willingness to learn are essential for understanding and appreciating theoretical physics.