How to Distinguish Between Similar Traits in a Phylogenetic Tree?

In summary, a phylogenetic tree was drawn to illustrate the ancestry of seven organisms: dog, human, kangaroo, snapping turtle, penguin, rhesus monkey, and bullfrog. The derived characteristic that creates each branch was identified at each branching point. The chart attached shows the traits of each organism, with a question raised about the similar traits of the snapping turtle and penguin, as well as the dog and rhesus monkey. The suggestion was made to look for other traits to differentiate the animals and potentially sort them by their "age".
Adriane

Homework Statement

Draw a phylogenetic tree to illustrate the ancestry of the seven organisms chosen: dog, human, kangaroo, snapping turtle, penguin, rhesus monkey, bullfrog
  • At each branching point, identify the derived characteristic that creates the branch.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attached the chart I created to identify which organism has each trait. I think I might have made a mistake that I can't find, because how am I supposed to create the diagram when the snapping turtle and penguin have the same traits, as well as the dog and rhesus monkey?

Attachments

• Trait.docx
    13.8 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
Definitely each animal should be unique in some way. Perhaps look for other traits? Something that will make penguin different from the turtle?

Can you start sorting these animals by their "age"? Which one of them seems to be the oldest in evolutionary terms?

1. What is a phylogenetic tree diagram?

A phylogenetic tree diagram is a branching diagram that shows the evolutionary relationships between different species or groups of organisms. It is used to represent the evolutionary history and relatedness of different species based on their shared characteristics and genetic information.

2. How is a phylogenetic tree diagram constructed?

A phylogenetic tree diagram is constructed using various methods, such as DNA sequencing, morphological traits, and fossil records. These data are then analyzed using specialized software to determine the most likely evolutionary relationships between the species being studied.

3. What is the purpose of a phylogenetic tree diagram?

The main purpose of a phylogenetic tree diagram is to visualize and understand the evolutionary relationships between different species. It can also provide insights into the history of life on Earth and help scientists make predictions about the evolutionary patterns of different organisms.

4. How can a phylogenetic tree diagram be used in research?

Phylogenetic tree diagrams are commonly used in various fields of research, including evolutionary biology, ecology, and conservation. They can help scientists understand the evolutionary history of a particular species or group of organisms, identify common ancestors, and study the patterns of diversification and adaptation.

5. Can phylogenetic tree diagrams change over time?

Yes, phylogenetic tree diagrams can change over time as new data and evidence are discovered. As our understanding of the relationships between species evolves, the structure of the tree may be modified to reflect the most current and accurate information.

Back