Physic average distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the return time of Halley's comet, which is every 74 years, and the task of finding the average distance of the comet from the sun. The conversation also mentions using Kepler's 3rd law and equations for mass, gravitational force, and angular frequency in circular motion.
xArashix
1. Comet Halley's comet returns every 74 years. Find the average distance of the comet from the sun?
2. I'm guessing Kepler's 3rd law...

The Attempt at a Solution

P_years^2= R_AU^3...i keep thinking that's wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
xArashix said:
1. Comet Halley's comet returns every 74 years. Find the average distance of the comet from the sun?

2. I'm guessing Kepler's 3rd law...

The Attempt at a Solution

P_years^2= R_AU^3...i keep thinking that's wrong.

Welcome to the PF.

What is the mass of the sun? What is the mass of Halley's comet? What is the equation for the gravitational force between two masses? What is the equation for the angular frequency in uniform circular motion?

What is "Physic average distance"?

"Physic average distance" refers to the average distance traveled by an object in a given amount of time. This is a concept used in physics to describe the motion of an object.

How is "Physic average distance" calculated?

To calculate "Physic average distance", you divide the total distance traveled by an object by the total time it took to travel that distance. This gives you the average distance traveled per unit of time.

Why is "Physic average distance" important in physics?

"Physic average distance" is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects and how they move over a certain amount of time. It is a fundamental concept in studying the laws of motion and can be used to make predictions about the future motion of objects.

What is the difference between "Physic average distance" and "Displacement"?

"Physic average distance" is the total distance traveled by an object, while "displacement" is the straight-line distance between the initial and final positions of an object. Displacement takes into account the direction of motion, whereas "Physic average distance" does not.

How is "Physic average distance" related to velocity?

"Physic average distance" is related to velocity because velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time. In other words, velocity is the "Physic average distance" divided by the total time it took to travel that distance.