Boost Your Physics Skills: Practice Questions for OAPT Contest (Grade 11)

In summary, the OAPT Contest for grade 11 students is a great opportunity to improve one's physics skills through practice questions. With a focus on concepts and problem-solving, this contest challenges students to apply their knowledge and critical thinking abilities. By participating in this contest, students can enhance their understanding of physics and prepare themselves for future academic and real-world challenges.
ashi_mashi
Hi everyone,

i'm looking for some some practice questions for the OAPT contest...it really doesn't matter which contest it is, just some Gr. 11 contest questions, like the SIN one...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ashi_mashi said:
Hi everyone,

i'm looking for some some practice questions for the OAPT contest...it really doesn't matter which contest it is, just some Gr. 11 contest questions, like the SIN one...thanks

i don't know what's OAPT, neither i understand Gr. 11, nor SIN, but as far as u mentioned Physics Contest - i can strongly reccomend you googling for IPHO problem sets (International Physics Olympiad) :)

ok...thanks a lot...but, IPHO is too tough for me... I'm looking for easier practice problems...btw, OAPT (Ontario Association of Physics Teachers) and SIN (Sir Isaac Newton) contest is for the University of Waterloo and OAPT is generally for Ontario (Canada)...and by Gr.11, i meant "grade 11" in high school...anyway, if you know any other contests similar to those (just not too tough) please tell me..thanks

ashi_mashi said:
ok...thanks a lot...but, IPHO is too tough for me... I'm looking for easier practice problems...btw, OAPT (Ontario Association of Physics Teachers) and SIN (Sir Isaac Newton) contest is for the University of Waterloo and OAPT is generally for Ontario (Canada)...and by Gr.11, i meant "grade 11" in high school...anyway, if you know any other contests similar to those (just not too tough) please tell me..thanks

ah ok, i see :) no wonder, that being <not from America> i have no idea of what those strange letters mean :)
well, back to the problems - what are your spoken languages?

hemmul said:
what are your spoken languages?
oh...i'm not sure what do you mean by that...lol..but, my first language is Farsi (Persian), and 2nd English, of course...currently, i live in Canada...but, if you have any contests with any other language, please tell me, cause i have several sources of dictionaries/translators;)...thanks

Just pick up an old Halliday/Resnick Physics Textbook at your local second hand bookstore.

You can't go wrong.

well, as long as u have dictionaries - try http://kvant.mirror0.mccme.ru/rub/7B.htm
http://kvant.mirror0.mccme.ru/rub/7D.htm
there are really all-level-problems over there! and a lot of them :)

btw, the problems from [ur=[PLAIN]http://www.jyu.fi/ipho/]IPHO[/PLAIN] [/URL] are not that tough - especially those from the past decade - they are just very big - some 4 or 5 pages long :)
but it is only because of their style: you're told what to do, how to do, what to use, and all u have to do is to DO it! (of course some thinking will also do the job!)
but looking into ipho archive will discover the "classical" qualitative problems that are sometimes reincarnated in present contests ;)
that's just my IMHO
so, better trust JasonRox :)

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, seems like I'm the only one who knows what OAPT and SIN contests are. Why don't you go to OAPT's website and download their past papers?

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/OAPT/contest/contest.html

For SIN, I'm so mad too that they only have a sample contest ! anyways...

Good luck on OAPT!

hemmul said:
well, as long as u have dictionaries - try http://kvant.mirror0.mccme.ru/rub/7B.htm
http://kvant.mirror0.mccme.ru/rub/7D.htm

how do you translate that?? it looks like russian... its a gif file its not possible to copy and paste the text to an online translator..

Also is there an US equivalent of the OAPT ?? if so, what is it called?

thanks

ah those infamous physics contest...SIN and the toronto one...

If you have the cash...i suggest buying the University level textbook book by SERWAY from chapters...just search serway and physics...I think its called INtro to PHysics. or just Physics. Though its a university level text...its relatively easy to read. Just ignore the ones with integrals...go straight to teh plug-ing numbers questions.
or going to a local university...MAC, UFT, YORK, WATERLLOO to pick it up.

OR if your looking for something online...go to mathworld.com and search for physics...it should bring up the physics section

I would really appreciate if someone, anyone can provide me with more SIN(Sir Isaac Newton) physics contest practice exams. And to everybody writing the SIN, I would recommend that you go to your local library, or your school library and get the book called "A decade of SIN...". It is published by the University of Waterloo, and can also be purchased from their website(www.sin.uwaterloo.ca) for a sum of $(Canadian)30. It has 26 past exams with solutions. And Again, if anybody can provide me with a site will all these SIN contests, it would be absolutely wonderful. And to everybody writing the SIN exam on May 5, GOODLUCK!

Faizan Sheikh said:
And to everybody writing the SIN, I would recommend that you go to your local library, or your school library and get the book called "A decade of SIN...".
Unfortunately, there's no such a book in Toronto's libraries ...

I'm looking for past exam papers too... if there's anyone who has them, could you send them to haigbea@gmail.com ... Much obliged! :D

GOOD LUCK to everyone who's writing it next Thursday!

Last edited:
hi everyone,
I'd like to know if there are any physics contests in which I can participate by the internet and that give certificates to their winners. thnx.

OAPT is a horrible contest... Did so bad on it...

The SIN book is on the SIN website

radia_ting said:
hey, seems like I'm the only one who knows what OAPT and SIN contests are. Why don't you go to OAPT's website and download their past papers?

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/OAPT/contest/contest.html

For SIN, I'm so mad too that they only have a sample contest ! anyways...

Good luck on OAPT!

There's book on SIN and it has all past SIN exam questions (there are two of it UW library at davis library )
you can go to uw library website and search the book name (using keywords like SIN) ..

Edit: yea it's "A decade of SIN..."

Somehow, no one knows about it=P

There's another book Irodov (you can do little google search and find it =P) ..
It's super good!

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but can someone tell me how much time you get for the SIN exam, and what kind of calculators you can use? Also, do you write full solutions?
Thanks!

oddly, this info seems to be missing from the website :(

What is the "Boost Your Physics Skills" practice book?

The "Boost Your Physics Skills" practice book is a collection of questions and problems specifically designed to help students in Grade 11 improve their physics skills and prepare for the OAPT (Ontario Association of Physics Teachers) contest.

Who can benefit from using this practice book?

This practice book is ideal for students in Grade 11 who are interested in improving their physics skills and preparing for the OAPT contest. It can also be helpful for students in other grades who want to challenge themselves and strengthen their understanding of physics concepts.

What types of questions are included in this practice book?

The practice book contains various types of questions, including multiple-choice, short answer, and problem-solving questions. These questions cover a range of topics in Grade 11 physics, such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and waves.

How can this practice book help me prepare for the OAPT contest?

The questions in this practice book are specifically designed to align with the topics and difficulty level of the OAPT contest. By practicing with these questions, you can improve your understanding of key physics concepts and develop problem-solving skills that will be useful in the contest.

Where can I find the answers to the practice questions?

The answers to all the practice questions can be found at the end of the book. It is recommended to first attempt the questions on your own before checking the answers to assess your understanding and identify any areas that may need further review.