1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physic Force Question Please Help

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    A 0.5 kg ball initially at rest is subject to three forces:
    1. F1 has a magnitude equal to 5.0 N and points 36.9 degrees above the horizontal direction (relative to the positive x direction),
    2. F2 has a magnitude equal to 2.0 N and points to the left (negative x direction),
    3. F3 has a magnitude equal to 4.0 N and points straight down (negative y direction).

Given these forces, answer the following questions:
    a. Draw a free-body diagram showing the forces acting on the ball. Be sure to draw
    vectors with the correct lengths. Determine the x- and y-components of each force
    and label those values on your diagram.
    b. Calculate the x- and y-components of the net force acting on the ball.
    c. Calculate the x- and y-components of the ball’s acceleration.
    d. Calculate the total distance traveled by the ball after 3.0 s.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2
    At what point do you get stuck?

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3
    Are you familiar with unit vectors?

5. Mar 11, 2009 #4
    I dont even know where to begin this is all new to me

6. Mar 14, 2009 #5
    i got the free body drawing but how do i do part b c d ?

7. Mar 15, 2009 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For part b, you'll need to apply trig functions (sin and cos) to the forces you drew, using the angle of each of the 3 forces.

Also, keep in mind that:
    Horizontal forces (acting to the left or right) act in the +x or -x direction -- there is no y-component.
    Vertical forces (up or down) act in the +y or -y direction -- there is no x-component.

Surely there is an example worked out in your text book or class lecture notes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook