Solving a Physics Problem: Angle Between x-axis & Tangent Line

• Thread starter sagaradeath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physic
In summary, the angle between the positive direction of the x-axis and a line tangent to the particle's path at t = 3 s is -79.95083227 degrees.
sagaradeath

Homework Statement

The position r-> of a particle moving in an xy plane is given by r->=(2t^3-2t)i+(3-2t^4)j with r in meters and t in seconds. What is the angle between the positive direction of the x-axis and a line tangent to the particle's path at t = 3 s? Give your answer in the range of (-180 degrees ; 180 degrees ].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first, find the particle's position at t=3
plug t into the r equation, you should get r = (48)i + (-159)j
which translates to the point (48, -159)
now find the velocity vector at t=3 (we do this to get the line tangent to path of motion)
take the derivative of r with respect to t, and get dr/dt = (6t^2-2)i + (-8t^3)j
solve for velocity at t=3, which should be dr/dt = (52)i + (-216)j
rise over run to find the slope of the line, m=(-216)/(52) = -4.15
now use point slope form to get the equation of the tangent line in y = x form, using the point we solved for in the beginning
y= -216-52*x + 525/13
that line crosses the x-axis at the point (175/18,0)
now to find the angle. draw a triangle with a base on the x-axis from x= 175/18 to x=48, and going down from the x-axis to y = -216. to find the angle, do tan@=(-216)/(48 - 175/18)
@(i use this for theta)= -79.95083227 degrees

I just want to know if I'm doing this problem right. Can someone help me with the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your setup and math looks good to me. The tangent line crosses the x-axis though and they asked for the angle between the positive going x-axis and the tangent so it seems to me like they want the positive angle of what you have. So I'm saying either -100.049 deg or 79.9508 deg. Both seem to satisfy what they are asking.

On second thought. You are completely correct. Disregard my previous angles. I was visualizing my tangent line backwards. You're good.

The velocity vector *is* tangent to the particle's path at any given point. There's no added construction of lines required to find the slope and hence the angle with respect to the x-axis: it's just the slope of the velocity vector, for which you've already found the components for t = 3 seconds.

I can confirm that your approach to solving this physics problem is correct. You have correctly found the position and velocity vectors at t=3, and used them to find the slope of the tangent line and its equation. Your method of finding the angle between the x-axis and the tangent line is also correct, using the tangent function. Your final answer of -79.95083227 degrees is within the given range of (-180 degrees ; 180 degrees]. Great job! Just make sure to always double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.

Frequently Asked Questions about Solving a Physics Problem: Angle Between x-axis & Tangent Line

1. What is the angle between the x-axis and the tangent line?

The angle between the x-axis and the tangent line is the angle formed between the tangent line and a line perpendicular to the x-axis at the point of tangency.

2. How do I find the angle between the x-axis and the tangent line?

To find the angle between the x-axis and the tangent line, you can use the trigonometric function arctan (or tan-1) on the slope of the tangent line. This will give you the angle in radians. Alternatively, you can use the slope formula to find the slope of the tangent line and then use the inverse tangent function on the slope to find the angle in degrees.

3. What is the relationship between the angle between the x-axis and the tangent line and the slope of the tangent line?

The slope of the tangent line is equal to the tangent of the angle between the x-axis and the tangent line. This means that the steeper the angle, the greater the slope of the tangent line.

4. Can there be more than one angle between the x-axis and the tangent line?

No, there can only be one angle between the x-axis and the tangent line at a given point. This is because the tangent line is unique and can only intersect the curve at one point.

5. How can I use the angle between the x-axis and the tangent line to solve physics problems?

The angle between the x-axis and the tangent line can be used to determine the direction of motion of an object moving along a curved path. It can also be used to calculate the acceleration of the object, as the tangent line represents the instantaneous velocity of the object at that point. Additionally, it can be used to determine the work done by a force acting on the object as the angle between the force and the tangent line is equal to the angle between the displacement and the force.