Inspiring Physics Projects for Last Year High Schoolers

In summary: take a picture of the dust on the floor whenever you do the experiment and then measure the radiation level on the picture after the experiment to see if the radiation level has changed.
Spectra
Im in my last year in high school and i need to work on a physics project, So basically i need to find myself a subject and a experiment to do. My problem is that i need some inspiration or examples.
Last year i had a project like it and i tried to find out what kind of radon isotope that is emitting from the concrete floor in our classroom, so i used a vacuum for collecting the dust sucking it into a sponge and afterwards trying to calculate the decay time and see what kind of radon isotope it would fit with.

So i need examples of experiments like that or some kind of other experiment.

I know its not the regular homework help thread but i hope someone will help me anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's quite difficult to help...:) What part of physics are you interested in? What do you want do study after you finish high school?

I had the same problem several months ago and I chose basic diode &transistor logic (see for example the relevant Wikipedia articles), since I'm interested in computers and I want to study computer science&microelectronics after high school. There's a lot of theory involved (semiconductors) and some experimenting as well (determining the output voltage, etc.). From the experimental point of view, it wouldn't be probably as much demanding as your previous project, but the theory's really interesting.

does it have to be in a certain subject area? but it sounds like if you can do experiments such as the radon isotope, there must be some advanced equipment available to you. I mean, at my old high school, they didn't have things like a scintillator, ultra high-speed camera or sensors for us to borrow.

anyway, how about something involves electronics? usually electronics experiments require only off-the-shelf components... but then again, it may mean that someone has done it before. Does it have to be an original experiments in the sense that it is on something that is interesting but not testing an existing theory ?

The project has to involve our basic subjects and has to be done with the equipment we have, we don't really have that much advance stuff to do with. The project with the radon isotope is really just done by calculating the decay rate of the dust u sucked up with a vacumcleaner into a sponge.

But something with electronics or magnetism could be nice, I've learned the basics about magnetic fields electrical fields, thermodynamic processes and rotating mechanics but we haven't been introduced to subjects like electromagnetic waves and most of the modern physics subjects like relativity or quantum mechanics. But I am prepared to read about it as long as its kept basic.

mjsd said:
Does it have to be an original experiments in the sense that it is on something that is interesting but not testing an existing theory ?
It can be both depends on what we want to, the only limits is that its not to easy and that its can be done with the school equipment.

Last edited:
Spectra said:
The project has to involve our basic subjects and has to be done with the equipment we have, we don't really have that much advance stuff to do with. The project with the radon isotope is really just done by calculating the decay rate of the dust u sucked up with a vacumcleaner into a sponge.

I am intrigued by how you can do this...sorry me no experimentalist, how do actually calculate the decay rate of your "dust" which could potential contain any substance?

Anyway, if you can only use basic subjects then how about: an electric guitar, a function generator, a few magnets. to investigate the standing waves (their harmonics) and seeing dF = i dl x dB at work. if function generator is not avaliable, then perhaps try a simple scattering/diffraction experiments with a laser. Must school should have a class-1 laser for demo etc... you can try to observe and subsequently "predict" the spacing of the pattern after scattering the light beam with objects of different gratings... eg. a steel ruler

If you are comfortable with electricity and magnetism, why not build a small wind turbine. It doesn't need to be all that fancy, maybe use a light wood for the blades, and set a fan at various distances to control wind speed. You could then devise an anerometer to figure out the actual wind speed striking the blades, etc...
Then correlate the output with readings in your area usingh the same anerometer(that way it only needs be precise and not accurate).

Last edited:
mjsd said:
I am intrigued by how you can do this...sorry me no experimentalist, how do actually calculate the decay rate of your "dust" which could potential contain any substance?

Since the concrete floor is radioactive(not much but a little) the dust absorbs some of it, so if you can get enough of the dust into a sponge or filter and then asap place it in front of a Geiger counter because its only noticeable active for around ½ an hour in which it decreases fast and from that you will be able to make a fine decay curve.

Spectra said:
Since the concrete floor is radioactive(not much but a little) the dust absorbs some of it, so if you can get enough of the dust into a sponge or filter and then asap place it in front of a Geiger counter because its only noticeable active for around ½ an hour in which it decreases fast and from that you will be able to make a fine decay curve.

oh so you do have "advanced" gadgets like a Geiger counter... well... I thought you didn't and so rather confused as to how to do the experiments. well, me getting too old, must be... and back in my days high school can't afford these toys :smile:

1. What are some examples of inspiring physics projects for last year high schoolers?

Some examples of inspiring physics projects for last year high schoolers include building a homemade telescope, creating an electric motor, designing and testing a solar-powered vehicle, and conducting experiments with sound waves and frequencies.

2. How can these projects help students understand physics concepts better?

These projects involve hands-on experimentation and application of physics principles, which can help students better understand and retain the concepts they have learned in class. By working on these projects, students are able to see how physics is applied in real-world situations, making the subject more relatable and engaging.

3. Do these projects require expensive materials and equipment?

No, most of these projects can be completed using materials and equipment that are easily accessible or can be purchased at a low cost. For example, a homemade telescope can be made using a cardboard tube, lenses, and other simple materials. This makes these projects accessible to students with varying budgets.

4. Can these projects be completed individually or do they require a group?

These projects can be completed both individually and in groups, depending on the complexity and scope of the project. Some projects may require more than one person to complete, while others can be done individually. Working in groups can also enhance the learning experience as students can collaborate and share ideas.

5. How can these projects benefit students in the long run?

Completing these projects can help students develop important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimental design. These skills are not only useful in physics but can also be applied to other subjects and in future careers. These projects also allow students to explore their interests and potentially spark a passion for physics or STEM fields.