Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach by McQuarrie and Simon

In summary, Donald McQuarrie and John Simon's book "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" covers topics such as temperature, free energies, equilibrium constants, and electrochemistry. It also includes discussion on isotherms and their relationship to Gibbs' free energy, as well as adsorption from solutions. The book offers challenging practice problems and takes a unique perspective by emphasizing the microscopic point of view. However, it may not cover topics such as the Clapeyron equation or triple and critical points in depth.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly don't Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know if this book includes the relationships between temperature, the standard Gibbs' energy, the electromotive force (i.e. cell potentials) and equilibrium constants?

Big-Daddy said:
Does anyone know if this book includes the relationships between temperature, the standard Gibbs' energy, the electromotive force (i.e. cell potentials) and equilibrium constants?
I am not sure if the text covers electrochemistry but it does cover temperature, free energies, equilibrium constants, etc.

Jorriss said:
I am not sure if the text covers electrochemistry but it does cover temperature, free energies, equilibrium constants, etc.

Thanks.

Does the text cover "isotherms" (don't actually know what they are), their relationship to Gibbs' free energy, and the relationship between Gibbs' energy and the reaction quotient Q?

Quite importantly, does it give nice challenging practice problems?

Big-Daddy said:
Does the text cover "isotherms" (don't actually know what they are), their relationship to Gibbs' free energy, and the relationship between Gibbs' energy and the reaction quotient Q?

Quite importantly, does it give nice challenging practice problems?
He covers those concepts - though I'm not sure what relationship to gibbs free energy you have in mind for isotherms.

I haven't done problems from this book. His stat mech and quantum books have some good problems though so I assume this is similar.

Jorriss said:
He covers those concepts - though I'm not sure what relationship to gibbs free energy you have in mind for isotherms.

I haven't done problems from this book. His stat mech and quantum books have some good problems though so I assume this is similar.

What my syllabus mentions on isotherms is:

• Simple phase diagrams and the Clapeyron and Clausius-Clapeyron equations, triple and critical points, curves of sublimation, melting and vaporization, isotherm of chemical reactions
  • Adsorption – Physisorption and chemisorption and their characteristics, factors affecting adsorption of gases on solids – Freundlich and Langmuir adsorption isotherms (and relationships of isotherms of adsorption to Gibbs’ free energy), adsorption from solutions.

I'm not expecting all of this to be in the text (e.g. things like Clapeyron equation, triple and critical point, etc. I would happily find elsewhere) but how much coverage of these topics does the book offer?

Last edited:
As far as I remember he covers them as much as any physical chemistry textbook. What makes this book unique is his perspective, with him choose to emphasize the microscopic point of view.

1. What is the main focus of "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach"?

The main focus of "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" is to provide a molecular-level understanding of physical chemistry concepts. This textbook covers topics such as thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and kinetics, all from a molecular perspective.

2. Is this textbook suitable for beginners in physical chemistry?

While "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" is a comprehensive textbook, it is geared towards students who already have a basic understanding of chemistry and calculus. It may be challenging for beginners, but it is a great resource for students who want to deepen their understanding of physical chemistry.

3. Are there any online resources available for this textbook?

Yes, there are online resources available for "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach". These include interactive simulations, practice problems, and chapter summaries. These resources are accessible to students who have purchased the textbook.

4. How does this textbook approach the topic of quantum mechanics?

This textbook approaches quantum mechanics from a molecular perspective, focusing on how it applies to the behavior of atoms and molecules. It covers topics such as wave functions, the Schrödinger equation, and molecular orbitals.

5. Is "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" suitable for self-study?

Yes, this textbook can be used for self-study. It is well-organized and includes practice problems and summaries to help students understand the material. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor while studying physical chemistry.