How Do You Calculate Molality and Mole Fraction in Aqueous Nitric Acid?

In summary, a student is struggling with a course that requires reviewing first year material. They are specifically having trouble understanding a problem involving calculating the molality, mass %, and mole fraction of aqueous nitric acid. They are confused about the concept of a solute and solvent, but it is clarified that aqueous nitric acid refers to nitric acid dissolved in water. The student requests for someone to go through the problem with them.
n77ler
Ok so I just started this course and we have to so review from first year stuff but I am completely lost and have no idea how to do the questions. There are a bunch so could someone just run through one with me please?

Commercial aqueous nitric acid has a density of 1.42g/mL and is 16.0mol/L HNO_3(aq). Calculate the molality, mass % and mole fraction of the HNO_3 present.

I don't understand because I thought there needed to be a solute and a solvent but here it seems like its asking about just one thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aqueous nitric acid means nitric acid (solute) dissolved in water (solvent). The term aqueous means that the solvent is water.

ok so HNO_3 + H_2O -----> NO_3- + H_3O+

Im sitll confused how the initial values are linked I'm getting extremely frustrated I'm falling behind because I cannot figure out the basics. PLease go through it with me!

answered

What is physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of physical properties and behavior of matter, as well as the underlying principles that govern these properties. It combines concepts from physics, mathematics, and chemistry to explain and predict the behavior of chemical systems.

What are the main concepts in physical chemistry?

The main concepts in physical chemistry include thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum mechanics, and spectroscopy. These concepts help us understand and describe the behavior of matter at the molecular level, such as how molecules interact with each other and how energy is transferred between them.

What is the difference between physical chemistry and other branches of chemistry?

Physical chemistry differs from other branches of chemistry, such as organic or inorganic chemistry, in that it focuses on the physical properties and behavior of matter, rather than the composition and synthesis of specific compounds. It also heavily relies on mathematical and theoretical approaches to explain and predict chemical phenomena.

What are some real-world applications of physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry has many practical applications, including the development of new materials, the design of more efficient energy sources, and the discovery of new drugs and treatments. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy production, and environmental science.

How can I improve my understanding of physical chemistry?

To improve your understanding of physical chemistry, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It is also helpful to practice problem-solving and to regularly review and reinforce key concepts. Additionally, hands-on experiments and laboratory work can enhance your understanding of how physical chemistry principles are applied in real-world situations.