1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical chemistry- basics

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    Ok so I just started this course and we have to so review from first year stuff but I am completely lost and have no idea how to do the questions. There are a bunch so could someone just run through one with me please?

Commercial aqueous nitric acid has a density of 1.42g/mL and is 16.0mol/L HNO_3(aq). Calculate the molality, mass % and mole fraction of the HNO_3 present.

I dont understand because I thought there needed to be a solute and a solvent but here it seems like its asking about just one thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

Aqueous nitric acid means nitric acid (solute) dissolved in water (solvent). The term aqueous means that the solvent is water.

4. Sep 15, 2008 #3
    ok so HNO_3 + H_2O -----> NO_3- + H_3O+

Im sitll confused how the initial values are linked I'm getting extremely frustrated I'm falling behind because I cannot figure out the basics. PLease go through it with me!

5. Sep 15, 2008 #4
    answered

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?