1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical chemistry exam

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    HI, I have my exam in 2 days and I am wayyyy behind this course I'm am only looking for a pass since I cannot get it down....I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to tackle it all? Should I do problems from every chapter and try and get through it? Or is there a better method you guys use?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2008 #2
    Anyoneee? Please I am so stressed I have no idea where to begin!

4. Dec 13, 2008 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Decide your strongest and your weakest areas. Leave those, the one is into diminishing returns on effort, the other is too late to get on top of.

For some of the remaining fair-to-middling bits write down in note form and without looking it up, what you know, also in relation to likely type of questions. Then look at the book or previous notes, your mind will have been activated by the exercise, and hopefully bits of jigsaw will fit into place.

Go on to something else and do the same thing. At some time come back to the first subject and do the same as before, you'll find you're better than before but some things will have eluded you. They will now fix themselves better in your mind. You only have time to do that max. 2-4X in 2 days but it should help, and also stop the panic.

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4
    OK so say I have no strengths, how should I try and cover it all?

6. Dec 13, 2008 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start with the strongest one, your morale is most likely to be maintained.

7. Dec 13, 2008 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

epenguin is too optimistic. Two days until test-time is too late. This late in the term, if you are not passing the course, then re-take the course. If everything else is basically in good working order, you should learn much better the second time; if you are weak in any essential pre-requisite topics, then your second time in the course may still be troublesome.

You are in Physical Chemistry? Chances are that your pre-requisite knowledge has been well managed and just repeating your course will lead you to much better learning. Try to take the second time with a teacher who grades on a "curve" fit to the class'es performance instead of a teacher who uses a strict 90-80-70-60, A-B-C-D system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?