1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical Chemistry Problem

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    Physical Chemistry Problem!!

The total pressure of a mixture of oxygen and hydrogen is 1 atm. The mixture is ignited and the water is removed. The remaining gas is pure hydrogen and exerts a pressure of 0.4 atm when measured at the same values of T and V as the original mixture. What was the composition of the original mixture in mole percent?

I started by using the equation P=nRT/V. Since the V, R and T are the same before and after the reaction I solved the equation for P/n = RT/V so the two equations (for before and after the reaction) could be set equal to each other. Then I got stuck! Please Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Physical Chemistry Problem!!

In this question you have a mixture of 2 gases at STP conditions. You remove all of one and some of the other in a ratio of 1:2. You are left with excess gas of only one component that has a certain pressure.

PV=nRT works if you know your volume. You will notice that you weren't given volume. You could use any volume and solve the problem but try using V=22.4 liters. It helps.

4. Sep 11, 2008 #3

I don't need to use a volume since the problem states that the volume stays the same. I can set the initial and final states equal to each other by re-arranging the equation to RT/V=P/n. Then the P/n for the initial and final state of the mixtures should equal each other.

5. Sep 11, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you think 'n' refers to in the initial state? In the final state?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?