1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical Chemistry Question (work done during decomposition)

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sample consisting of 1.0 mol of calcium carbonate CaCO3(s) was heated to
    800°C, when it decomposed (CaCO3 → CaO + CO2). The heating was carried out in a
    container fitted with a piston which was initially resting on the solid. Calculate the work
    done during complete decomposition at 1.0 atm. What work would be done if instead of
    having a piston the container was open to the atmosphere?

2. Relevant equations

Expansion work against constant external pressure:

w=-pex[tex]\Delta[/tex]V

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok the textbook gives an example, so I tried following that. Because Vf>>Vi, and Vf=nRT/pex, then w=-pex x nRT/pex=-nRT (im assuming n is number of moles of CO2?). 1 mole of CaCO3 makes 1 mole of CO2, so plugging in numbers, I get 8.9kJ, although I dont use the 1 atm pressure at all, so I'm thinking I'm doing the second part of the question first. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted