Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical Chemistry vs. Chemical Physics?

1. Jun 10, 2003 #1
    I've yet to clearly understand the difference between these two disciplines, and I was wondering if anyone else had any insights. I first thought they were one and the same, but they are certainly used as different terms in most universities. I've come to understand it as a difference of scales. When one is performing analyses on only a few molecules or atoms, such as electronic or molecular structure calculations and density functional theory calculations, I view that as chemical physics (particularly if quantum mechanics is used). On a more macroscopic scale where one is looking at bulk thermodynamic properties I view that as physical chemistry. Reaction kinetics and statistical thermodynamics are kind of in the middle of these two. That's just my guess though. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2003 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A chemical physicist is a physicist first and a bad chemist second; a physical chemist is a chemist first and a lousy physicist second. The scale of problems/sizes of systems being studied/analyzed has very little to do with the distinction --- p-chem is physics from a chemist's viewpoint, and chemphys is chemistry from a physicist's viewpoint. The problems can be identical, the methods can be identical, and the results can be identical, but the interpretations seldom present even a superficial resemblance.

4. Jun 10, 2003 #3
    excellent point. i agree totally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?