Physical Chemistry: Should I Write Supplementary or Retake?

In summary, the speaker is questioning whether they should write a supplementary in 10 days or retake the course, which would put them a year behind in their studies. They ask what a supplementary is and how it would improve their knowledge of Physical Chemistry. The other person advises them to determine why they failed the course and then enroll in it again, potentially changing their major if Chemistry is not their strong suit.
n77ler
If I failed this courses should I write a supplementary in about 10 days or should I retake it and put myself behind a full year of studies in my program?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a supplementary? How would writing this supplementary improve your knowledge of Physical Chemistry? Failing the course means you have no academic course credit for the course. You should determine why you failed the course. Then, knowing this, review any skills and knowledge needed and then enroll in Physical Chemistry (a second time)/again. Being behind by one year may be necessary in order to earn your degree goal. If Chemistry is your major field of study, you might want to change major fields (but not necessarily).

I cannot make a decision for you on whether to write a supplementary exam or retake the course. However, I can provide some information that may help you make an informed decision.

Firstly, it is important to understand the reason for your failure in the course. Did you struggle with the material or were there external factors that affected your performance? If it was due to external factors, such as personal issues or health problems, then it may be worth considering writing a supplementary exam in order to improve your grade without falling behind in your studies.

On the other hand, if you struggled with the material and do not feel confident in your understanding of the course material, it may be more beneficial to retake the course. This will give you the opportunity to fully grasp the concepts and improve your overall understanding of the subject.

It is also important to consider the impact of either option on your academic progress. If writing a supplementary exam will cause you to fall behind in your program, it may be more beneficial to retake the course and stay on track with your studies. However, if retaking the course will significantly delay your graduation, then writing a supplementary exam may be a better option.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal circumstances and goals. It is important to weigh the pros and cons of each option and choose the one that aligns with your academic and personal goals. It may also be helpful to seek advice from your academic advisor or a trusted mentor.

1. Should I write a supplementary exam or retake the course for Physical Chemistry?

It ultimately depends on your individual situation and what you hope to achieve. If you feel confident that you can improve your grade by studying and reviewing on your own, then retaking the course may be a better option. However, if you struggled with specific topics or concepts in the course, then writing a supplementary exam may be a good opportunity to focus on those areas and potentially improve your overall grade.

2. What is the difference between a supplementary exam and a retake for Physical Chemistry?

A supplementary exam is an opportunity to rewrite a failed exam or assignment in order to improve your grade. A retake, on the other hand, involves retaking the entire course, including lectures, assignments, and exams. Supplementary exams are typically only offered to students who have narrowly missed passing the course, while retakes are available to anyone who wishes to improve their grade.

3. How do I know if I am eligible to write a supplementary exam for Physical Chemistry?

The eligibility criteria for supplementary exams vary from institution to institution. Generally, you must have narrowly missed passing the course and have a valid reason for not being able to achieve a passing grade. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the department offering the course to determine your eligibility.

4. Will writing a supplementary exam or retaking the course affect my future opportunities in Physical Chemistry?

It depends on your specific goals and the requirements of the opportunities you are seeking. Some graduate programs or job opportunities may have specific requirements for grades or a minimum number of attempts for a particular course. It is always a good idea to research and consider the potential impact before making a decision.

5. Can I write a supplementary exam or retake the course multiple times for Physical Chemistry?

This also depends on the policies of your institution. Some may allow multiple attempts, while others may have a limit on the number of times you can take a course or write a supplementary exam. It is best to check with your academic advisor to understand your options and the potential consequences of multiple attempts.